GUN Atlas bipod initial impressions, more to come *PICS*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 20, 2009.

1. I was talking about bipods with phrozenlikwid the other day on facebook, and he asks me for my address. I figured it was so he could send me the literature about joining the bestiality club I was asking him about a few days prior, so I eagerly gave him my address. Well, today a box showed up for me, and I excitedly opened it, but found no bestiality literature, or even pictures. In the box was a brand new Atlas bipod. It's now my solemn duty to give this bipod a good going over and offer my impressions along the way. I've got 2 long range shooting meets in the next 3 weekends, so I should have a good chance to not only give my impressions of it in the field, but to get input from others as well.

Here it is fresh out of the box. I will feel kind of guilty about getting dirt on this thing, as it's literally brand new. The feel of this thing is amazing. The checkering is very "grippy." This bipod exudes quality and attention to detail. The thing smells like a machine shop too, which I must say is a bonus. The view here shows the legs (obviously) and the tension knob for the adjustments of cant and forward-and-back (I don't know the technical term for that one, sorry.) Yeah, this thing swivels on 2 axis, compared to a Harris swivel that only adjusts the cant. The swivel knob is checkered and is very easy to grip and adjust. Also, the Atlas is a hair more than 2 ounces lighter than my Harris S-BRM with PodLoc. (Add in the weight from the little rail piece to mount it to the rifle though, and they're roughly the same overall weight)

[​IMG]

This next view is of the mounting system for the Atlas. As you can see, it uses an ARMS throw lever to mount to a standard Picatinny rail. I know, it's no LaRue, but I've never heard any complaints about the durability of it from the guys on SH, so I'll try to give it a fair shot. It is nice in that it's instant to take off and put on the rifle. There are 2 other mounting options available with the bipod, one is a standard rail mount that uses screws to hold the bipod on, and the other is a spigot mount for an AI setup.

[​IMG]

Next up is a view of the mechanism by which the height is adjusted. As you can probably guess, you pull back on the checkered collar and then slide the leg to the desired height. It's pretty intuitive, and the legs slide easily. There are 5 positions you can select from, including fully collapsed and fully extended. Each position is 3/4" apart. The manufacturer says the bipod height is 5"-9", but if I measure in the manner Harris uses, I get a measurement of 6"-9" with the legs in the 90º position. We'll get to that later. At this point, allow me to say that the Atlas does make the rifle sit slightly higher than the Harris because the swivel point of the leg is further below the mounting point due to the construction of the bipod, and the additional rail needed on the rifle to mount it. Messing around with the rifle at home I have not had any problem with it at all though, and the lowest height setting is more than low enough.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of it fully extended to give you an idea of how long it is.

[​IMG]

Here is is mounted to the rail on the rifle, with the legs folded in the forward position. You'll notice that the Atlas has no provision for mounting a sling to it, while the Harris does. In order to mount my sling to the rifle, I used the stud as the rear screw to hold on the rail. The rail is cut with a relief to allow this. As you can see, the tension knob is easy to access. You can also see the ARMS lever is tucked up well out of the way, and not likely to snag on anything.

[​IMG]

Here's a wider view of it mounted with the legs in the forward position.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the legs at the 45º angle position. I should mention here that in order to adjust the leg position, you pull the leg downward, which allows the spring loaded component of the leg to disengage groove it is sitting in. You simply rotate the leg to the desired position and allow the spring to lock it into place. This 45º angle setting allows you to get really low (though you can get plenty of height by extending the legs too), and just playing around with it on the floor at home feels very stable when you load the bipod.

[​IMG]

Here's the setup at 90º. Again, the Atlas feels very stable when loaded.

[​IMG]

Lastly, here are the legs stowed in the rearward position. I assume they allow you to do this so they are less likely to snag on things when you're maneuvering through brush and the like.

[​IMG]

At this point I'm really impressed with this thing. This is one of those things that you just feel really good about because holding it and looking at it is like looking at a piece of art that a machinist made. I really didn't know what to expect, because I was already really happy with my Harris. I can't wait to get out and see how I like the Atlas in the field. Also, I don't mean to imply with anything that I've said here that I don't consider my Harris to be a great bipod, because it is. From my initial impressions of the Atlas it's simply that it's even better than the already-great Harris setup. Hell, there's plenty of room in my life for more than one kind of bipod. Thanks again to phrozenlikwid for sending me this thing to try out. :)

I'll update this as I get some experience in the field with the Atlas.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
  2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I haven't had a chance to really run my other one out (waiting on a chance to get to a drill press to mount the rail), but it looks pretty well thought out. While very fucking pricey ($300), might be worth it if you shoot a lot from a bipod (which I don't, but I'm looking to improve my game there). We'll see.

Like I was saying... I expect this to come back dirty, half fucked up, and krylon'd pink and barbie purple. You best be trying to break this shit, because I will be.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the legs look like anus rammers

4. As you likely noticed from my rifle range thread, there aren't benches on that range, so if I do join there (I intend to) all my shooting will be from prone (or sitting on the ground or whatever, but that shit is hard.)

Don't worry, I won't damage it or anything, I intend to send it back in approximately the same mechanical shape, though maybe a slightly more worn cosmetic shape.

5. droopz

droopz New Member

6. I noticed that too. Maybe we can try it out at the November shoot.

7. I have not. Do you have a link?

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

very interesting. Is anything on the atlas spring loaded? The one thing I like about the harris is the way the legs are sprung to either deploy or retract. I flipped my leg springs so that they are spring loaded to aid dropping the legs. Then I can do the cord tied to the legs thing. the spring loaded feet on my harris don't work with the piatt feet.

I like the atlas already has piatt style feet.

If they could spring load the atlas like the harris bipod and get rid of the lever for a puch button release like the arredondo harris adapter (might be able to retrofit) it would be a winner.

9. Laurel

Laurel New Member

For srsly on the purple?

*goes to michaels for rainbow glitter spray paint*

10. The legs are not spring loaded, you have to pull them out of their detents and move them to the position you want.

EDIT: To be a little clearer... the detents are spring loaded, but the actual deployment of the legs is not.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The legs would fuck up your game I would imagine.

I actually thought of you the first time I was finger-fucking the thing, trying to figure out how to work it (who reads instructions). The way it is setup, I don't see where you'd be able to make it spring loaded in any shape/form.

Have not seen that Arredondo bit. What's the story?

12. droopz

droopz New Member

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

lol..... Only if you promise to add glitter and hand-painted paper machet feet in the shapes of easter bunnies. My guns could use more of a "feminine" touch.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

*December :hs: i can't make it up in Nov.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The spring loading of the feet I can live without. It's the spring on the legs that I want

[​IMG]

I tie a string between the legs. Then I just tug the cord and both legs drop like panties at a bachlor party.

If you get a chance see if you can get the legs to deploy in this manner. for me this is a "must have" as during a match you have to start with bipod folded up unless they specify "sniper start" (start aimed at target).

Are the feet rubber or metal. I need metal feet so I can get my glide on when doing big target transitions.

16. WTF?!?!?!? :mad:

17. Like prozen said, I doubt there's any way you could get the Atlas to snap into position with a string.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Legs are what I meant. Yeah, I don't see how that would work. You need to get some video of you yanking on that thing, I'm interested in seeing how it works.

Feet are soft rubber, which I like myself. Supposedly there are going to be (if not already) several options for the actual feet, ranging from the stock rubber to metal spikes and everything in between.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

See the button near the back of the bipod adapter mount. Push that button and the bipod comes off. Makes it very handy for run and gun matches. You can ditch your bipod after you leave the prone position. That way you don't have to worry about it when dealing with windows, doorways, and barricades later in the stage. The levers just don't work quick enough, and usually the levers are tight by design.

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That's cool. Didn't know they made such a thing. That seems pretty trick, especially if it holds tight while it's on there.

For precision games, I think this thing will prove to be quite the improvement. For what you do, I imaine the Harris will be hard to top. Someone does need to make a "quicker" bipod though.... I'd be interested in running that shit on a 22.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats what he sent me to test.

I'm also painting them with purple glitter paint.

(oh and that does look like it might be the shit)

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

23. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:o