ATI X1900XT Underclocking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Clarity, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Currently, I have disabled the ATI Hotkey Poller service, so my video card is stuck at 2D speeds. Currently, I have very good framerates with 500/600, so I'm considering keeping it underclocked while playing a 3D game. At 100% fan speed, I keep 50 C in WoW or CSS. Does underclocking lower the life of the card? It doesn't seem like it would, but I want some professional opinions.

Thanks for all your help.

2. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Why'd u buy an X1900XT if were gonna underclock? lol. I don't think lowering the clock would have any affect on the life of the card, but I could be wrong. If you were to mess with voltages, then maybe yeah.

3. Clarity

Clarity New Member

I already have one. I can run all the games I play fine at the 2D clocks. I only recently found out about 2D/3D clocks, after I wanted to overclock my video card. I had ATITool installed to keep my card cool, by running the fan at 75% the whole time, but what I didn't know was that it disabled 2D/3D clock switching. So, I tried turning on 3D detection, and creating a profile at the 3D clocks and voltages. When I started a game, my computer immediately crashed, and restarted. I tried again, but with a lower voltage than the default 3D clocks. My game ran for about 10 min before it crashed again. Either I use ATITool and keep my card cool, or have it at 60-70C but have better performance that's hardly noticable.

I was thinking what you're thinking - if I don't overclock, or mess with the voltage, my card shouldn't lose any life.

Thanks for the response.