ATI video card and my dell decided to fight.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sp33d, Aug 17, 2006.

1. sp33d

sp33d New Member

This is obviously the week for all my shit to break.

So i have a dell that i just use for media kicking it on my desk at home. Its older than shit, think i got it in 2001? anyways it still runs good and decently fast (for what i do with it)

So basically i installed a PCI ATI 9200se 128mb video card in it about 8-9 months ago, so i turn it on today and nothing.

So i plug my monitor back into the onboard video, and it says that "Can not power device on" or somthing along those lines, refering to my video card.

So i update all the drives and all that BS and make sure its seated correctly and nothing.

Any suggestions other than buy a new computer? i have a new pc i built 3 months ago for gaming. i just use this for um "stuff"

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, I'm guessing the power supply is dead, too. If you have a spare power supply, plug it into your computer and see if it turns on. If it does, problem solved. If not...come back.

3. sp33d

sp33d New Member

oh, no my pc turns on and everything thats what it says when it trys to "New hard ware found" and it goes threw all the bull shit, and installs it. gets to the end and says can not start device.

Sorry i should have added that, i stated it poorly

4. deusexaethera

So...the video card works, but the computer is saying it doesn't work? Or are you using the onboard video right now?

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

dell power supplies are like glass

get the psu replaced

/thread

6. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I think if it can't start the device then the device is the culprit. I've seen that once or twice.

7. sp33d

sp33d New Member

I said i was using on board.

8. deusexaethera

Ja, I was just making sure you were still using it, and that you didn't just try the onboard once and go back to the 9200.

Only thing I can think of to test the video card is to plug it into another computer and see if it recognizes it, then test the PCI slot on the problematic computer by plugging in another computer's video card. If the card or the motherboard consistently fails to play nice with other components that are known to be working properly, there's your problem. If everything works fine except in certain combinations, then you've probably got an IRQ or DMA conflict. Those used to be easy to fix, but they're a pain in the ass now because all those settings are automatic.

9. sp33d

sp33d New Member

cool thanks. Im thinking of using it as a paper weight and just getting a new one. it only cost $30.