ATI class action settlement?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OniMinion, Jun 1, 2009.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Anyone know if this is legit? When I worked at Geek Squad, I purchased a few ATI cards through the BB internal system at a reduced price. I have an online ordering email account, and all I use it for is shipping verifications etc. This was just sent to it... Any other OTers get this? Is it real? Is it a scam?

:hsugh:peace:hsugh:

LEGAL NOTICE
    If you purchased an ATI graphics card, you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement.
    To file a claim, or to download the Class Notice, go to www.ATIClassAction.com. If you have any difficulty accessing this website, please call 1-888-309-9567.
    A proposed settlement of a class action lawsuit may affect you if you purchased an ATI graphics card (that means a card built by or for ATI, not by or for another company such as Asus, Diamond, Gigabyte, Palit, Sapphire, or VisionTek) from one of the following series: Radeon® 9550; Radeon® 9800; Radeon® x700; Radeon® x800; Radeon® x850; Radeon® x1300; Radeon® x1600; Radeon® x1800; Radeon® x1900; All-in-Wonder® 9800; All-in-Wonder® 2006; All-in-Wonder® x600; All-in-Wonder® x800; All-in-Wonder® x1800; All-in-Wonder® x1900; and all FireGL® or FireMV® series of graphics cards. Please read this entire Notice completely as it affects your legal rights. The Court authorized publication of this Notice. Who’s Included?
    You are a “Class Member” if, while residing in the United States, you purchased for your own personal use and not for resale a graphics card from one of the series listed above. You must have made your purchase during the period from January 1, 2003 to March 31, 2006.
    What’s This About?
    The Plaintiffs in the lawsuit claim that ATI advertised or marketed the graphics cards listed above as being “HDCP ready,” or otherwise conforming to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (“HDCP”) specifications for transmission of HDCP content, an attribute they claim the cards did not or could not have possessed. ATI denies the allegations and has asserted many defenses. The Court has not made any findings on this issue and the settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing by any party.
    What Does the Settlement provide?
    Depending on the number of authorized claims, you may be eligible to receive a new ATI graphics card. If 55,500 or fewer authorized claims are submitted, each authorized claimant will receive one Radeon® 4650 512MB PCI express graphics card for each authorized claim they submit. If greater than 55,500, but less than 71,501, authorized claims are submitted, each authorized claimant will receive one Radeon® 2400 256MB PCI express graphics card for each authorized claim he or she submits. If greater than 71,500 authorized claims are submitted, each authorized claimant will receive a cash payment in the amount of his or her pro rata share of three million dollars ($3,000,000). For example, if the total number of authorized claims is 71,501, each authorized claimant will receive a check in the amount of forty-one dollars and ninety-five cents ($41.95) for each authorized claim he or she submits.
    What Are Your Options?
    Remain in the Class and Submit a Claim – You may remain in the class and submit a claim. A detailed Notice and Claim Form package contains everything you need to submit a claim. Just call toll free 1-888-309-9567 or go to www.ATIClassAction.com to obtain a package. Your claim must be postmarked on or beforeAugust 10, 2009. If you fail to mail your Claim Form by this date, your claim will be rejected, and you will be deemed to have waived all rights to receive benefits under this settlement.​
    Object to the Proposed Settlement – You may object to all or any portion of the proposed settlement. The Court will hold a hearing on August 31, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. to consider (a) the fairness, reasonableness and adequacy of the proposed settlement; (b) the dismissal of the case with prejudice as to all Defendants and the entry of a final judgment; and (c) whether an award of attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses should be made to Class Counsel. You may appear at the hearing, but you don’t have to. Any objections to the proposed settlement must be submitted to the Court no later than August 10, 2009. The detailed Notice explains more fully how to object to the proposed settlement.​
    Opt Out from the Class –If you want to be excluded from the Class and the proposed settlement, you may submit to the Court a request to be excluded postmarked by August 10, 2009.If you exclude yourself from the Class, you will not receive any benefits of the settlement.​
    Do Nothing – If you do nothing, you will still be bound by the terms of the proposed settlement and you won’t be able to sue the Defendants about the legal claims in this case.
    This is only a summary notice. To obtain a detailed Notice containing additional information on the proposed settlement and each of these options, please call toll free 1-888-309-9567 or go to www.ATIClassAction.com. For more details on the proposed settlement, you may also write to: Scott A. Kamber of KamberEdelson, LLC at 11 Broadway, 22nd Floor, New York, NY 10004; or, David C. Parisi, Parisi & Havens LLP, 15233 Valleyheart Drive, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403.

This email was sent by:
    ATI HDCP Notice and Claims Administrator
    P.O. Box 6177
    Novato, CA 94948-6177
    To stop receiving email from this list, please click here.

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

If it was an email I would think it is probably a scam. but if not I would be in to get a new card from my old x800.

3. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

4. OniMinion

You ONLY get the discount if you ordered your card DIRECTLY from ATI. That was the only thing that made me think it was legit.

5. OniMinion

Really, no one else had received this message?

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

but i'm not too impressed with their website. I would probably spam that e-mail myself.

8. OniMinion

I was seriously tempted to spam it. Here is the deal though. The website is as legit looking as I'd expect any other lawfirm's. The other deal is they don't ask for any specific information other than your name, and address. They state that they'll be able to look up the original invoices up through ati.... So DON'T spam them. In my experience, if you are trying to scam someone form their money, then you'd instead ask for a small fee up front.

9. SSguy24

SSguy24 New Member

I've received mail about class action lawsuits before (ok once) and I thought the same shit "oh man this can't be real it doesn't even have my name in it" but I guess because of the volume of mail the firm must send they just use the one generic mailer.

10. OniMinion

Did you do it?

Did you ever get anything back?

11. OniMinion

HIS IS REAL! I GOT A CHECK YESTERDAY IN THE MAIL FOR $431.27 BASED ON MY PURCHASES.

If you ever purchased an ATI card directly from their website, you're set. This worked out for me extremely well considering I ACTUALLY bought the card for way less than retail - but was credited the retail value! I basically got paid $200 to use that card for three years!
    :eek2:

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

So this doesn't work if you have an ATI card that you bought in a store?