ATI all in wonder

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Feb 15, 2007.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Building an htpc and going with an ati system, for using it as a tv tuner, component out to hdtv (avi/mpg etc) and dvd playback do I really need anything more than a 9200 series? Its not gonna be for gaming or anything like that, I have an x800 right now im selling to my brother and my main pc doubles as an htpc for the time.

cliffs, for an AIW card, for just basic tv output on an htpc, is a 9200 series enough?

links: ebay
    official specs

does the > 9200's have anything good that would be useful? if its a few extra bucks I wont mind, but no sence spending money to waste more power that im not going to use

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ATI All-in-Wonder 2006 Edition uses the 9600 GPU, not the 9200. Anyway, it's passable for basic gaming.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a 9200 aiw 128mb. i bought it about 3-4 years ago with the intent of using it for a dvr. it accepts analog cable, also takes s-video and composite. it outputs vga and composite also. the composite looks like hell on my tv

i ended up buying a tivo

should work for you, but you might want to step up to an hd wonder at least

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

oh so it wont output component? That would be what I need, im not gonna buy a tivo because I can get this to do basically the same thing and have more options. I want the composite in so I can use this old 8mm camera I have to get video on the computer (better than nothing) but I still need component (480p or 1080i, 480p is probably best coming from the computer)

Does the 2006 do that?

5. deusexaethera

VGA is component video, you just need a plug adaptor, which probably comes with the card.

If you can feed a DVI signal into your TV, that will be the best option of all. If you can't feed DVI but you can feed HDMI, then all you need is a cord with a DVI plug on one end and an HDMI plug on the other.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

ive never seem vga to component (red/blue/green) adapters, maybe I havent looked good enough.

TV is an older model projection, only has component input no dvi or hdmi. But component is still hd, so it works for now anyways.

So the vga (blue, regular monitor cable plug in) will be able to split to plug into the 3 cables for component?

Sorry if I dumbed it down too much, just wanted to make sure you know what im talking about and not wasting time

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

the only things I can find are boxes like this: http://www.smarthome.com/777060.html

whereas my x800 has that s-video like plug for tv output (vga/dvi and this one) and I plug a cable into it that has 3 wires coming out for r/g/b

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

and from what I can see, only the 9800 AIW will do the hd output properly with the same kind of cable I have already. HD output is a must

9. dorkultra

10. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

11. dorkultra

12. deusexaethera

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift