ATI AIW9000 - Chaintech AV710 - HK AVR325

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

My components aren't playing nicely together :(

I'm using a Chaintech AV710 to pass sound information on optically to the HK receiver and that works fine for things like .mp3's, .mpeg's etc. in stereo and DVD's using WinDVD in full surround.

The problem occurs when I try to use my TV tuner in the ATI card. I don't get any signal over the optical line...I need to plug in standard cables from the line out of the soundcard to receiver and it works fine. At first I thought it was just 'cause the TV is stereo and not surround so maybe it doesn't like an optical connection, but the mp3's etc. are stereo as well and they work fine :dunno:

what the fuck's wrong? :o

2. 04

04 Guest

It sounds like the AV710 doesnt encode analog input signals into digital. My M-audio Audiophile 2496 does, but its also over 100 dollars :hs:

This is assuming that the sound output of the tvtuner is analog, no?

It could also be that the line input is muted, you may have to mess with that too.

3. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

the tuner sound out is analog and it's not muted because when I connect headphones to the analog output of the sound card it works

the thing that confuses me is that mp3's and such are also only two channel output and they work fine...but I guess that doesn't mean they're analog :dunno:

Now that I think about it, it unfortunately makes sense as the tv tuner output is probably just a passthrough and the soundcard just throws that signal to the analog and digital outputs without any processing :(

that kinda sucks though :o

4. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Doesn't make sense though, with everyone on avsforums using and recc. this card for HTPC's the problem would have come up I would think.

nm -