ATI A-I-W Multimedia Center

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matrix243, Aug 17, 2004.

1. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

Has anyone used the tv and camcorder recording feature? I can't figure out why the vid size is so HUGE, even on the lowest settings. And what program can you use to chop vids down?

2. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I've recorded from TV shows and my ps2. If I want really high quality I'll use DVD quality, otherwise, I have a custom setting for recording. Go to map preset, then click create new. Name it something, click next, then for the profile, choose the setting at the very bottom. Click next, for video properties, keep the top one, then set the resolution for 704x480, framerate 25, audio format 44.100 khz, 16 bit, stereo. Then click finish. From what I've found, that's a very good recording quality with a minimum file size.

Either way, be prepared for big file sizes anyway, it comes with recording video. I use the pinnacle studio 8 for editing the dvd quality recordings, and windows movie maker for the custom setting I made.

3. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

I used to use the ATI Media Center. Decent quality video is going to be large. You'll prolly just have to re-encode to a smaller format after it's recorded. I now use Beyond TV and like it a bit more. BUT, I don't bother trying to save space and lose quality. Just add more storage space.

4. fanatic

That's what I did when I bought the AIW. I went ahead and picked up a 120 gig hard drive with it since I was expecting file sizes to be enormus.

5. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I'll give that a try fanatic.

I recorded 2 hours of the Barrett-Jackson auction and the size was like 10gigs! I only want like 2 minutes. Some short vid clips I have were like 7megs for like 30 seconds. Ridiculous.

6. fanatic

Yeah, that's a lot bigger than what I usually get when using DVD format. When you record though, it is definately necessary to shrink it using a video editing software, even if you don't want to edit it at all. Most movie editing programs let you choose what the bitrate will be of the rendered video, and that can shrink it down a lot. Any bit rate around 800 and higher should be plenty good for quality. Resolution of 640x480 is pretty high quality in my eyes, so I usually just put it down to 320x240 for medium quality settings.