ATI 9200 graphics card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nur23, Jan 13, 2007.

1. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

Is it any better than the graphics of the ps2, xbox, and gamecube? Was it released at a later or earlier date than the consoles?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It can't compare.

1. Console games run at a quarter of the resolution of PC games, so there's 75% less data to process.

2. Console games are optimized to run on very specific hardware, whereas PC games have to rely on things like drivers and emulators to run on all the different kinds of hardware that could be inside a PC.

Both of these considerations put a much heavier load on PC hardware when playing games. Get a GeForce 7600GS if you're in the market for a new AGP card. I replaced my Radeon 9600XT with one and everything is very pretty now.

3. Gek

Gek Go for broke

ok so i need a new video card for my computer.. what's the difference between agp and pci? and is there anything else i need to know before i go out and buy a video card? this will be for gaming/photoshop/watchin movies, so i want something pretty nice

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The primary difference between AGP and PCI-Express (nobody but nobody uses regular PCI for video anymore) is that you can only use the kind your computer is designed to use -- the slots are different. AGP is on its last legs now, you can still get a GeForce 7600GS (which is what I have) that is fairly current and works well, but it's pushing the very limits of what AGP can handle in terms of data throughput. If you want the absolute latest and greatest, you're going to have to replace your motherboard with one that has at least 1 PCI-E x16 slot. (Note that AGP only goes up to x8, hence PCI-E is twice as fast.)

If your current computer is fine for you but you just want better graphics, first check the AGP slot on your computer to make sure one of two things:

1. It has a single divider in the slot, closer to the front of the motherboard than the back, OR;

2. It has no divider at all in the slot, and it's just one long row of contacts.

If one of these two conditions is fulfilled, you can use the newest AGP cards. Like I said before, I have a GeForce 7600GS and it does everything I ask of it, so there's a good default option if you don't feel like doing a lot of research.