athlon

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by autox, Nov 28, 2003.

1. autox

autox OT Supporter

Whats the difference between an athlon xp 2500+ with 333 fsb and without it? I am getting impatient, and really want to order a cpu soon

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

They are different cores, each with a little more L2 cache than it's predecessor. Thoroughbred came first, L2 cache of 128kb. Thorton came last in terms of release date, but it has 256kb. Barton came after thoroughbred in release date but it has the most L2 cache, 512kb.

Basically I would recommend Athlon 1800 for low budgets (like me :hs: ) and Barton 2600 for higher budgets (the 2500s are coming multiplier locked now :hs: ). You can easily overclock a processor to the highest speed in its' particular "family," so IMHO there's no reason to buy anything but the lowest one. Sometimes there are variations between batches of processors, and certain speeds within a family will be prone to better OCing, but right now the 1800s and 2500s from Newegg are pretty decent.

Edit: 2500 with 333 FSB is the Barton, with lower FSB is either Thorton or Thoroughbred, just have to look at the L2 cache to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2003
  3. autox

autox OT Supporter

i cant decide if the extra 30 to 40 bucks for the 2500 is worth it for me, as I rarely play games, just need it for normal daily use, burning cds and dvds and video editing from time to time..

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I had the same dilemma.. if you're coming from a computer that is vastly slower, then you should be fine with an 1800. If you go ahead and get the 1800 and find out its just not fast enough, you can always overclock it. :dunno:

5. autox

autox OT Supporter

:werd: thanks, the 1800 from newegg comes with a heatsink and fan right?

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If it's a retail box version of the processor (not OEM), then it should come with a heatsink.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I think newegg carries the OEM version. :(

But the stock HSF is crappy anyways ;)

8. autox

autox OT Supporter

I'm thinking now that ill buy an oem chip and buy a heatsink and fan that'd be better than the stock one. Whats a good cheap hsf to go with?

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The one on my 2500+ is actually pretty decent. It's not amazing or anything, but there are people running nicely OC'ed systems on the stock ones.

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I just ordered one of these, they are temperature controlled and supposedly really quiet. Not a "high performance" HSF but definitely good, especially considering they're only $17 after shipping. I havent got mine yet, but I plan on lapping it and using AS5 to help keep the temps down even further so it stays quiet. When I get it and have everything put together, I can let you know just how good it is if you want.

11. autox

autox OT Supporter

they have another one from the same manufacturer, but its copper, for the same price, im not sure which one to go with, since copper is better right?

12. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Go with copper, it is better... I couldnt find the copper one though, do you have a link to it? :confused:

13. autox

autox OT Supporter

14. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

15. autox

autox OT Supporter

ok, cool