Athlon 64...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ Cripsen, Jan 26, 2004.

1. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

I was just looking at pricewatch.com

I am thinking about making a new computer pretty soon. This 900mhz AMD is really keeping up with the games lately.

So I havent heard much about the ahtlon 64. I notice they have the A64 3000 for $211. Thats a pretty good deal since the P4 2.8c is $208

Anyone have an athlon 64? Im thinkin about gettin one. Are they better then the p4's?

2. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

better than p4s, yes.
    would i buy one right now, no. at least not one that is of the slot 754 generation...as that line is dying. AMD64s are great, and going to be great...but now is a bad time to get one.

Soon.

3. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

thanks. When will the new lines come out? I am going to probly get a new computer in about 3 months.

4. plat

plat New Member

the 754's will be around for atleast the rest of the year, with 3700+ and 4000+ models being released for it.

the 939's are comming out at the end of march.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

I got a new 3400+ processor...should be here tues/weds

6. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

do the a64's run hot? I want to get a chip that runs cool so I dont have to hear the fan buzzing in my head all day.

7. plat

plat New Member

cooler then a pentium 4

8. diranged

diranged New Member

I wish people would stop saying this -- it is absolutely untrue. The Socket754 platform will be around for many years as it is going to eventually turn into AMD's "budget" platform. Yes, Socket 939 will replace 940 and will become the new "standard" in 2005, but even then Socket 754 will continue to develop.

Go get yourself an Athlon64 Shuttle box. I LOVE mine. I have an Athlon64 3400+ in it and it runs great 24x7. It does run a bit warm (60-65c) but I have the fan set to as quiet as possible. It goes down to a totally respectable 50-55c when you set the fan to "safe" mode in the BIOS. It is damn quiet and super fast.

I also have a Socket940 Opteron 846 (2.0ghz) chip system and I can tell you honestly that for most users it is overkill and not neccesary. I rarely use my ASUS SK8N Opteron system unless I am doing heavy video encoding (hence -- it makes the worlds most expensive personal DVD ripper.. lol).

9. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

lol... In all honesty, I'll more than likely pick up an Athlon 64 (or Opteron) before too long, but saying 60-65c is "a bit warm" is being generous. My P4 1.8 OC'd to 2.4 peaks at ~44.

10. diranged

diranged New Member

If you saw how quietly the SHuttle runs, you would be surprised it stays as low as it does. The CPU heatsink has 4 heat pipes that run up to a separate heatsink that has a CPU fan on it blowing hot air out of the case. The only other fan in the case is for the power supply -- so the whole case gets good and warm. It still runs rock solid though, so I see no problems with it.

If you have a good case with plenty of airflow, the CPU should run in the mid 40's no problem...

11. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:cool: My case is ginormous with 11ty billion fans anyway. It's a cool processor, don't get me wrong.

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Also AMD chips in general tend to run a little hotter than Intel chips. My Athlon 2500+ runs mid-40's to mid-50's on stock cooling (with Asus fan control enabled so it slows down when not needed).

13. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

my A64 3000+ @ 2.37ghz runs full load temps of 47 degrees. just a few fans in the rig, no fancy decks of fans or anything.

754 will be around for a long time. i plan on upgrading to the NF3 250 board in march/april for dual channel and pci locks which are currently limiting me.

my rig plus a 9800pro is up to 22,294 3dmark01se should hit 23k or higher in a day or so.

14. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

are all you 64bit kids running in naitive 32bit mode? or are you running in 64bit with a 64bit OS?

15. MP

MP New Member

both for me

16. SLED

are all of your hardware drives also redeveloped for 64-bit? A friend of mine was having a bunch of issues with some of his hardware, so he just went back to native 32 bit mode, which to me is kinda pointless?

17. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

i'm running 32bit.

but don't for one second think that its worthless to get an A64 if you can't use 64bit technology. this processor is beating the pants off competing p4 chips in 32bit.

windows 64 will bring about the development of drivers necessary for your hardware to work. i'm sure hardware manufacturers are already hard at work making them.

18. SLED

i guess my point is, why buy a 64 bit processor now when the drivers aren't even production-released yet? Are they that reasonable in price? I could be totally wrong on this, but i thought they were still pretty pricey.

19. diranged

diranged New Member

So you can have it when 64bit games start coming out -- duh :)

No company is going to release production drivers until the OS is finalized. I can say from experience that the drivers for 64bit windows, when they come out, will be very rubust and solid. Most of them are already written and WELL tested (many by me) but cannot be "released" fully until the OS is available.

Athlon64 chips are priced at the same price point as the AthlonXP chips were, and continue to get faster and faster.

Sure, if you look at the flagship processor (FX series) then they are damn pricy -- but compare that to the supposed P4 EE and its still $200-$300 cheaper.

Alot of people mis-understand some of the basics about the AMD64 chips. The biggest advantage so far is NOT that they do 64 bit computing. Rather, the big advantage is the dramatic performance increase due to the entire new architecture of the motherboard. No more slow FSB (front side bus). Instead, they use HyperTransport to connect everything which is both simpler and significantly faster. IMO the biggest improvement is the onboard memory controller -- its fast :)

20. diranged

diranged New Member

FreeBSD 5.2 (64bit)
    SuSE 9.0 Pro (64bit)
    Windows XP Pro Build 1069 (64bit)
    Windows XP Pro (32bit)

21. MP

MP New Member

I installed xp64 the other night cuz i was bored. still no suse or freebsd (until you give me solme copies because i'm to lazy to dl them) :)

22. plat

plat New Member

i think the biggest improvment is double the amount of registers.

23. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

SuSE is only like a 20 meg D/L (from here, it's a net installer, so it downloads all the packages you want during the install.

24. diranged

diranged New Member

ludelover,
    just come to my damn house and get the dvds... lazy bastard

25. diranged

diranged New Member

ludelover,
    just come to my damn house and get the dvds... lazy bastard