Athlon 64 vs Athlon XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by venger240, Aug 16, 2005.

1. venger240

venger240 Hoemoe

Its time to upgrade mobo and processor. Im mainly upgrading so that I can play Quake 4, which will require the same as waht doom 3 required. Is there a signifigant difference between the XP 3000+ and the Athlon 64 3000? Will it be more then 10 fps? I will be playing in the lowest quality settings available. Thanks for the help.

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

The biggest difference is that one is 64 bit and the other isn't. If you run windows xp 64 bit and quake 4 happens to support 64 bit (hey it could, quake 3 supported multi-threading, which was unheard of for its time) it will make a big difference.

You will probably be able to tell just from day to day things more so though. Keep in mind that the majority of gaming is all dependant on the video card.

3. venger240

venger240 Hoemoe

Thats generally true if your running the game at what the manafacturer recommends. I always turn the settings down ot the lowest. When you do this, the game becomes as much processor dependant as gpu dependant. YOu should have seen how I played quake3. picmip 4. It looked like a bad cartoon drawing, not a video game.

I found a good article on anandtech that answered my question. Simply put, due to the way the cache is setup on the 64, it is a HUGE performance increase to go wtih the 64. They were comparing with an ultra 6800, and the fps difference was like 30-40 fps.