Athena Audition for a first HT setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I'm getting the guy at the local futureshop to setup this system in one of their demo rooms and listen to it before I buy it, but I'm looking at this package:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

for $675 canadian (~$500 US)

I'm thinking of skipping on a sub for now 'cause I'm broke and getting a sub about a year down the road. I still haven't decided on a receiver yet so if you have any recomendations in the ~$400 US range I could get them to setup the speakers with that receiver in store and give it a listen.

I listened to a paradigm system at another local store that sounded a bit better, but it was 3 times the price :hs:

I also know athena is coming out with a dipolar surround in this line so I could go with this setup for now with something like a HK AVR330 and then buy the surrounds and move the bookshelfs to the back for a 7.1 system in the future.

Any other recomendations in this price range?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  2. Jazz

Don't everyone respond at once :p

I went and had a listen and was quite impressed considering the cost so I made the purchase (in canadian dollars after some haggling with the manager):

AS-F1 $355 for the pair
    AS-C1 $160
    AS-B1 $160 for the pair

When I got there I noticed that they had conveniently setup the AS-F2's beside the F1's to try and sway me [​IMG]. Regardless of the salesman's intentions I'm glad they setup the F2's. They also hooked the system up to an HK AVR330 at my request as I was considering this receiver.

I came to the conclusion that both of the towers needed an accompanying sub...the F2's are slightly better but not good enough to be the only low frequency speakers in the system. I also found the F1's to be a better match to the C1 center channel (at least to my ear). I decided to save the $200 by buying the F1's and put the money in the bank getting me more than half the way to an AS-P400 sub. I know it's not the best sub out there, but it seems like a very good piece for the price and accompanied the F1's well. Aesthetically it also matches the existing system.

I've brought the speakers home and set them up using the 12 gauge home depot speaker wire that was already in the walls (the stuff with the green casing for any of you canadians familiar with it...is there a reason to go with anything more expensive?). IMHO the speakers seem much better built than other products in this price range. The speakers are setup on an older 5.1 pioneer receiver that I borrowed from my parents house (I'm sure my dad would love to have it back sson even though it's rarely used there :p )

As to not make too many posts about the same subject I'll post this question here:

I know originally had thought of the HK AVR330, but I was pleasantly surprised by my dads pioneer. As a result I'm not so sure I need a receiver in the HK's price range. How would these speakers do with, what seems to be a well reviewed, Onkyo TS-XR501. The room is a pretty square 250sqft. The big advantage I see with something in the Onkyo's price range is I could go out and add a sub to the system right now.

3. 04

04 Guest

No, the Pioneer would work great. The HK is definatly a better receiver, but the thing is, you probably don't need its extra features.

So you have already bought the speakers? I would have suggested getting the B1's for the fronts as well, since you will have a subwoofer running all the bass anyways, and that would save you a bit more money.

How much do you want to spend on the subwoofer?

4. Jazz

Well the pioneer isn't mine and my dad will probably take it back next time he comes over.

Here's the Onkyo I'm looking at (the silver version of this actually, but that's not really relevant to the question I asked): http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR501&class=Receiver&p=i

I want something with at least two input component video switching and at least one optical input. The athenas are a bit bright so that has me leaning towards the Onkyo as well. The pioneer I'm using right now is rated at "100W" per channel and seems like it has plenty of power. The Onkyo at 65W (8ohm, 20Hz-20kHz). I don't think it's really possibly to directly compare the two power numbers, but I think the Onkyo should be fine for a small-mid size room.

I also liked the B1's for the fronts, but to be completely honest I like the look of a tower in the front :o. Plus after the cost of a decent set of speaker stands the price differential isn't huge.

As for the sub, I want to spend as little as possible, but I still want to get something that will be decent. The matching sub to the Athena Audition line is: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asp400.htm which I can get for under $250 US from the guy I bought the speakers from. Like I said, it's definately not the best sub out there, but it seems like a very good piece (for the price) that accompanied the F1's well and aesthetically matches the existing system.

5. 04

04 Guest

6. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

those are the exact speakers on my HT system, powered by a Technics SA-DX1040, and i also have an 8" velodyne sub. very impressed with it

7. MagiusX

MagiusX Don't let the man keep you down

The Harman Kardon receiver would be a great match for the Athenas. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR-7200 along with (2) AS-F2s, AS-C1, (2) AS-B2s.
    The Harman Kardon receivers are a bit softer sounding, so the combination sounds great.

As far as speaker wire goes, the 12 gauge you are using should be just fine. How much can you get the AS-P400 sub for? I love my Athena speakers but the sub just wasnt enough for me. Im currently saving for a dual SVS 20-39CS+ setup because I have a rather large room. I would look into a sub from HSU Research.