TAT Atheist tattoo?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by kramer, Jan 25, 2010.

1. kramer

kramer New Member

I come from a very devoutly religious family originally, but since the age of 17 have stopped believing in god (at least in the conventional sense).

Since then, I have more or less converted my family to a school of more logical thinking. I want to commemorate this with some sort of tattoo at some point down the road.

I kind of wanted it to incorporate a quote and a few images, but I'm not sure exactly what to do. The main quote I had in mind is:

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Possibly depicting a set of hands doing some type of work with some type of anti religious symbol, but while being careful to not get offensive with it.

I know I'm being vague, but I'm just at the starting point with this, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knew of any atheist-like artwork. Obviously there are a lot or religious tattoos out there, I just want the complete opposite :)

2. phigity

phigity New Member

I've been wanting to do something along those lines as well. I never came up with something I liked enough yet so can't offer any suggestions but love the idea.

3. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

I just have the word "fallen" on my ribs under my arm. Simple, keeps to the point for me.

4. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Richard Dawkins website has the classic scarlet "A" symbol. Its unrecognizable to most as anything other than an A but to fellow atheists, it stands out. You might find that website helpful for some ideas. Its the first thing that comes to mind. www.richarddawkins.net, i think.

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

:eek3: haven't seen that name in forever

6. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

atheist logo :dunno: i can't really think of anything either

[​IMG]

7. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

8. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

I would definitely not do anything related to Dawkins or any of the big atheism writers. Not only do they disagree on a variety of stances, but to take a symbol and stamp it on you is no different than taking a Cross and stamping it on you because you believe in Catholicism. You wouldn't be getting an atheist tattoo, you'd be getting something representing one person's version of a belief system....just like religion. I like your original idea much better...go to a good artist and start brainstorming ways in which to grow that idea into an image.

10. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

:werd:

11. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

i've always played with the idea of "forsaken" on the top of my back in some fancy ass script

12. Cherryfire

That is a really good point. I personally like the idea of having something recognizable to other like minded individuals but it could be argued this is similar to that of the cross or fish that christians wear to identify with each other. Having said that, I guess i don't really mind that either. :dunno: But you're right, the OP should definately evaluate which direction they would like to go with it and talk it over with a trusted artist. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Just get a darwin fish.

[​IMG]

Its kind of a biggoted shot at christianity but any christian this would bother is probably a biggot themself anwyay so who really gives a fuck.

This is not what atheism should be. If you are a huge supporter of darkins, sure. But as stated above, you may as well call that religion. Its not "to fellow atheists" because a lack of something isn't a way to identify with other people IMO. Its sort of like the atheist alliance..."lets sit around and talk about how we cant know of god and how we're going to tell more people we think that."

and strong atheism (gnostic atheism) is for fools IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. GammaRadiation

PS Tell me how you did it :bowdown:

One huge source of stress in my life is my mom's pseudotheism.

15. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

It'd be nice if people knew the difference between an agnostic and an atheist, particularly when they label themselves as one or the other.

16. GammaRadiation

Take a walk through LAOT and you'll learn that they are two terms that mean entirely different things.

If he holds no belief in a god or god system he is an atheist. If he thinks that it is unknowable he is an agnostic. If he thinks it is knowable he is gnostic.

gnostic atheism is a rejection of god. agnostic atheism is the default human status on religion.

17. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

I don't need a tattoo to announce my disbelief in religion. What are you gonna get next? A picture of Santa Claus with a circle and a slash through it. :rofl: Why don't you get a tattoo about something you do believe in instead of defining yourself by attacking something you don't believe in.

Or at least get the Flying Spaghetti Monster instead of some hands.

18. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

:werd:

19. StopDrop&LOL

StopDrop&LOL "Where The Elite Become Champions"

20. Memor

Memor Active Member

TS already wrote that he was brought up in a devoutly religious family up through high school - it has obviously been a big part of his life. The comparison to Santa Claus is apples to oranges.

21. Cherryfire

Read your reply, noted the "IMO" 's...the only thing I would change about my sentence would be saying "fellow atheists" as it is a symbol likely more recognized by visitors to Dawkin's site.