GUN ATF Seizes cali legal AK's from gun store

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 8, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Officials Seize AK-47s At SoCal Pawn Shop
    Merchant Cites 'Gray Area' To Legality Of Weapons
    http://www.knbc.com/news/15539100/detail.html
    POSTED: 11:06 am PST March 8, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:06 am PST March 8, 2008

GLEN AVON, Calif. -- Local and federal law enforcement officers seized 10 AK-47-type assault rifles at a Glen Avon pawn shop and said the weapons were illegally imported into California, authorities said Saturday.

No arrests were made Friday at Bright Spot Pawn in Glen Avon, but authorities said they would seek charges against the owner of the weapons.

A man who identified himself this morning as the owner of Bright Spot Pawn said the weapons seizure was based on misguided legal assumptions.

Deputies had received information that illegal AK-47s were being sold at the shop, sheriff's Sgt. Steve Brown said in a release. Deputies and officers with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms executed a search warrant Friday morning at the pawnshop, in the 9000 block of Mission Boulevard in Glen Avon.

AK-47 knockoffs are popular in the assault rifle market, in part for claims that gas-operated original models are capable of firing up to 600 rounds a minute on full automatic. But such weapons are not legal for most Americans, say gun control proponents who feel there is no reason for hobbyists to own such potentially-destructive guns.

AK-47 enthusiasts say the weapon and its knockoffs make excellent hunting rifles.

The case will be forwarded to the Riverside County District Attorney, seeking charges against the owner of the weapons for 10 counts of possession of an assault weapons, and 10 counts of importing or offering assault weapons for sale, sheriff's officials said.

The ATF is continuing an investigation of the assault weapons, authorities said.

In spite of the weapons seizure, Bright Spot Pawn owner Jeff Russo said he thinks the weapons will be returned.

"There's a very gray area in the law as to whether they are legal," Russo said of the weapons. "I think there were assumptions being made and they were being overzealous. In this country, it's supposed to be we're innocent until proven guilty."

Russo said Bright Spot Pawn has operated at the same location in Glen Avon for nearly 20 years.

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Interesting. This article says 10, but supposedly 11 were taken :dunno:

Also, they apparently only took complete rifles, none of the receivers :rofl:

RSO and the DA just stepped on a fucking nuclear land mine :rofl:

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Hmmm...

4. Slick26

I guess all I have to say at this very moment is... fuck California. You couldn't pay me to live there.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so were they imported improperly or assembled to violate assualt weapons ban in cali?

6. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

All of the rifles are in legal configuration. The sheriff believes that all AK style weapons are illegal. This is obviously not true. Someone's going down, and I don't think it's the FFL.

7. Slick26

We can only hope.

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

600 rounds a minute :rofl:

:noes:

I love how they act like FA is soooooo easy to acquire

Typical liberal faggots

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

so far, every case about OLLs has resulted in a victory for the shop/owner of the rifle, and the embarrassment of the DA/DOJ.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Wow that is the most misleading article with the most quotes from people who have no idea what they're talking about that I've potentially ever seen.

11. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

True.

In CA, long arms are automatically banned by manufacturer and model. Since these were not on the banned list, they are legal.

Rifles can also be banned by configuration. Since calguns members frequent this dealer, I'm sure it knows the AW laws very well.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

hell, pictures of at least one of the rifles that was seized have been posted, and its in a legal config.

And considering that BSP was in on the OLL game back in late '06, I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The recoil operated ones can only for 300 rounds a minute on semiautomatic :(

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

our tax dollars at work!

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If that's true, then I hope the FFL sues to high heaven! False arrest, libel, slander, whatever... It's rediculous.

16. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/press/08067030.htm

A member on calguns, who happens to be a lawyer, says the shop might have cause for a defamation suit. :mamoru:

17. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

MN is getting pretty bad too. Watch for some shitty gun laws to be passed soon.

18. Slick26

They're definitely trying, that's for sure.

19. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

Hunting with an AK would be badass :rofl:

Hope they get this straightened out quickly and go after the police dept. for any lost business

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So I'm confused. You guys were saying they were cali-legal, and the press release says they arn't. If they seized cali-legal guns then I think a lawsuite is in order... But does anyone know what law the guns are claimed to violate?

21. Slick26

The "Sheriff Doesn't Like Them" law.

22. Havoc

Havoc New Member

Holy Fuck, Bright Spot!

I just picked up my Lancaster AK on the 28th. Mine was shipped with out the pistol grip or high cap magazine. The receiver isn't listed on the CA AW ban list. There are no evil features on the rifle therefore it's completely legal. It's bullshit, Chris and the other BSP employees are good people. Hopefully everything gets sorted soon and I don't have DOJ knocking down my door.:noes:

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my point is that if no actual law was broken, and they listed a press release saying that he did, and they basically made a false arrest, and libel, etc, etc, then they can really get fucked.

24. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Welcome to the bullshit political climate of California where the police often don't have the slightest clue what makes a rifle legal or illegal, much less the press.

There is no grey area in the law regarding these rifles. The law states what is legal and what is not. The grey area is a result of lots of misinformation that's filed through the ranks via memos from the atf and people just not knowing what is going on.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The "press" was a press release given by the sheriffs dept. If it's false, then that's a big no-no imo.

As for the atf memos, this is no different than a black person being arrested for being black. I mean it's not a crime... So if you're treated like a criminal, the cop can easily lose their job and face charges, themself... Same should occur here.