GUN ATF seizes 349 guns from mans home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 24, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=594868

349 guns seized at home
    U.S. suspects man of illegally dealing firearms at shows
    By JOHN DIEDRICH
    [email protected]
    Posted: April 23, 2007

Federal agents seized 349 guns, $20,000 and other items during a search at the home of a rural Wisconsin man suspected of illegally dealing firearms at gun shows and selling the key part of a fully automatic rifle, according to a federal search warrant.

According to a search warrant served April 15, James Schrader, 67, of Wild Rose, northwest of Oshkosh, sold a receiver for a machine gun and a tool to make semi-automatic guns into machine guns to informants. The warrant also says Schrader, vice president of the Central Wisconsin Gun Collectors Association, sold two guns to an undercover agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The search warrant alleges that Schrader was dealing firearms without a license, using gun shows as his marketplace. People can sell firearms at gun shows without doing background checks required of dealers as long as they are "hobbyists" making occasional sales, federal law says.

Contacted Monday, Schrader said all the guns taken were part of his personal collection. He said he gave up his federal gun dealer's license more than 10 years ago because the rules were too burdensome. Until February, he had a "curio and relics" gun license that allows him to sell only older guns or collector's items, not the handguns he is accused of selling to the agent. Schrader said he attended about eight shows a year, selling a couple guns per show.

"I have gone to gun shows like a lot of different guys, looking for deals," he said. "I don't want to make myself look bad because I am not bad."

Schrader, who said he doesn't make his living off guns but wouldn't reveal his occupation, admitted he sold a lower receiver for an AR-15 rifle but thought it was semi-automatic, not fully automatic. The lower receiver is the gun's key component. Schrader said he bought it from a friend, who purchased it at a gun store.

"What I did was stupidity," he said.

It is legal to buy a machine gun, but it requires a lengthy federal background check and expensive license. A fully automatic weapon fires constantly by pulling and holding the trigger. Semi-automatic weapons require the shooter to release the trigger between shots.

The search warrant says Schrader offered a Bushmaster .223-caliber receiver to an ATF informant for $200 on Oct. 14 at a gun show in Fond du Lac. The informant, who is not named in the warrant, was wired to record the conversation of the deal. Schrader told him the receiver would operate as a machine gun, the warrant states. The receiver was tested by ATF and confirmed to be fully automatic. The informant later bought a tool from Schrader designed to make a semi-automatic gun fully automatic, according to the warrant.

An undercover ATF agent bought two handguns from Schrader at a December show in Green Bay and a January show in Fond du Lac, the warrant says. Schrader displayed 15 to 18 firearms at his table at the shows.

"The agent was never asked for any identification by Schrader or about his criminal record," it says.

ATF agents visited Schrader's home in March after learning a relative had stolen more than 30 guns. The agents told Schrader that as a license holder, he was required to report the crime to the ATF. Schrader kept his guns, including a Thompson machine gun, in a 15-by-30-foot steel-door vault.

Schrader said the agents were "casing" his house for the April 15 raid. He said he was stopped on the highway by a half-dozen agents, who took him back to his house. Schrader said all 349 guns taken were collectibles.

"It is not uncommon for people to have that many guns," he said.

Schrader has not been indicted but he expects to be.

"We are just waiting for charges," he said.

Sounds like he sold a DIAS to the feds :dunno:

2. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I've been to Wild Rose a couple times, I'm surprised I came back alive with maniacs like this running around.

3. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

:eek3: sign me up

4. kappe277

kappe277 New Member

They sit on the side of the road with guns pointed at you or what?

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

wut

6. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

how the fuck can you buy a machine gun reciever from a dealer? someone modified it along the way... and whats the deal with "selling a handgun" thats such a big deal? is wisconson like nazi california jr?

7. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

You guys should hear the local radio reading of this story. Fully automatic this, machine gun that, head of the local shooting club. While it's obvious the guy was a dumbass about how he went about this, the Urinal-Sentinal and the associated newsfeed stories all but call the guy a Satan-worshipping baby-murdering cannibal.

Like we didn't have enough to contend with here with the guy "loving" dead deer and such. :eek3:

8. Chris

Chris New Member

:werd:

9. Werm

Werm Guest

I've never looked at or plan on buying an AR-15... but isn't $200 for just a normal semi-auto receiver a good deal to start with? Let alone a full auto?

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Complete new bushy lowers sell for around $250ish

11. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

stag lowers are 99 bucks... you are just paying for the bushmaster name there...

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

but the point is the asking price he had was legit.

13. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

what kind of tool makes a gun full auto. Hell, sounds like they could have arrested him for owning a dremel.