GUN ATF audit?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Dec 19, 2009.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Early this year I paid for 10 mosin nagant 91/30's at a bulk discounted price from J&G and had them shipped to an FFL owned and ran by a guy I work with. I picked up my rifles from the bunch and guys from work paid me for the ones they picked up. All background checks and calls to the ATF were made. Everything documented and legal

Fast forward to today. I ask coworker if hes had a lot of orders for christmas and he says no, Ive been busy with the ATF about those guns you ordered

Apparently one of the guys that picked up a rifle of the bunch also ordered a couple hipoint handguns with a friend of his later on and this sent up some red flags for the ATF and now theyre asking for paperwork and other stuff from him

Seriously? Theyre worried because some guys bought some cheapass worn out bolt action rifles?

Anyway, since Im the one that placed the order, whats the worst that could come from this? Would there be enough probable cause for them to audit my records? I dont have a C&R license so I think its harder for them to look into my personal firearms records but I may be wrong
    Im just worried they may look into me next
    Although I have nothing to hide, its not every day that ATF looks into a person so it leaves me wondering whats up

2. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I hope you don't have any dogs.

3. BigBadJohn

?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

No, they're worried because a guy bought several shitty handguns at one time. That buying behavior is more indicative of a guy buying guns for his ineligible friends than building the worlds best collection of shitty handguns. Multiple handgun purchases are reported and you can bet that the brand is relevant to how close attention is paid. If you were the guy at the ISP that gets those reports, would you look into my purcahse of 2 walthers at once or the guy that bought a couple hipoints?

Past that since the deal was done through an FFL i'd think you'd be ok.

5. BigBadJohn

which is why I figured if everything was in fact on the level, then why the hell are they worried? Both guys got the handguns transferred separately

6. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

First board your dogs for the next week or two... but correct me if i'm wrong on the subject stated but it's a nagant 91/30 which is a rifile which i own? It was probably because it was a bulk order and they are just checking.

7. BigBadJohn

Board my dogs?

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If the FFL transferred the guns to each person individually, then you're in the clear 100%. The ATF isn't going to care who requested he order 10 rifles, just the people he filled out transfer forms for and actually gave them to.

If you had ordered and picked up 10 rifles from the dealer and then, in turn, distributed them to these other people yourself, you could be looking at some questions.

Google "ATF raid" and read a few news articles if you're really lost about the dog comments.

9. BigBadJohn

Oh, so the dog comments were a joke?

10. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

No. They will shoot them just because they can.

Reminds me of the movie "Shooter"

"No this is personal, they killed my dog."

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

mosins are the drug dealer and bank robber guns of choice dont cha know.....

lol jesus the ATF is silly, do they know what a mosin is? lol seriously it's 10 feet long what fucking criminal is gonna want to use that

12. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

this

i believe if you purchase 2 or more handguns at one time, ATF must be informed

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The ATF does a regular check of all FFL's. It's not a big deal unless the FFL has made some mistakes recording transactions, etc. Then they take a much closer look and go way up the ass.

As far as your concerned bet on the ATF contacting you. They are going to ask if you purchased the said 10 rifles and if you still have them in your possession. Chances are is that if they are asking it is either 1.) there was a discepancy in the paperwork from the FFL 2.) One of those rifles was used in a crime at some point (unlikely in your case, but maybe for the high points). When asked if the rifles are still in your possession you can answer 1.) I kept one and sold the rest person to person private party transfer, and sorry I don't remember to who and I kept no records. 2.) Give them names and contact info. Wheather you tell the ATF who got the rifles is a personal thing. Some will say your not required to tell them, don't help them, blah blah blah. Others will say it would sure help the ffl get thing cleared up with the ATF just let your buddies know the atf will call or visit and it's not going to be a big deal.

14. BigBadJohn

Well the thing is though that I paid for the 10 rifles yes but they then paid ke cash and picked up the rifles themselves, had background check, forms filled out, waiting period enforced, and transfer fees paid
    I kept all 3 I got and never sold any
    is there anything wrong in telling the ATF this?
    As far as I know I was within the law

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

If they physically picked them up and had to fill out a form/bg check I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Although the moisins don't seem very gansta, selling 10 guns for < $100 + any kind of high point is going to throw some flags.

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yes, you're fine.

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

NM after seeing your support for animal abuse I hope the ATF blasts your dogs.