GUN ATF Agents Just Left My House

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by USMCsilver, Dec 9, 2004.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Got a knock at the door and went to answer. Two gentlemen were standing there and immediately, one flashed the badge -- ATF. I locked up not knowing what to say or what they were here for.

They said they were doing an investigation about some stuff I purchased off the web from Germany. I was thinking, oh great...

The company where I got my parts had been illegally importing suppressors to internet clients. My gun in question was my Walther P22.

They asked if I had purchased a suppressor and I quickly told them the truth, "NO!". Then, I made it clear by telling them that I am a criminal justice major, a former Marine, and the fact that if I wanted a suppressor, I'd get my sheriff’s signature, wait the 90 days for a background check, and pay my $200 for the stamp. This gave them some reassurance that I did nothing illegal.

Luckily, I had the Pay Pal records from the purchase. I had gotten the parts off of eBay using "Buy It Now" and there was a record of my transaction that I was thankfully able to find. I had purchased a grip frame, a 5" target barrel w/ comp, a scope mount, and a scope. Not a thing more!

I disassembled the pistol and also brought in the boxes from the parts that I had purchased. They were concerned because the Walter has a threaded barrel that could accept a silencer. It took a while to explain to them that the barrel was threaded in order for the barrel cap to keep the barrel sleeve in tact which kept the barrel from falling off the gun.

They had a print out from the site in Germany that offers the parts. They had a picture of a suppressor and the adapter needed but I had proof that I didn't order a suppressor nor an adapter. More concern from them was that a suppressor could be made that used no adapter. I assured them, again, that I would only pursue legal avenues if I ever wanted a NFA item. I also reiterated the fact that I had received no such suppressor nor adapter.

Anyway, the guys were nice, but it still made me a bit nervous since it seemed as if they had been accusing me of illegally receiving a restricted item from overseas.

For any of you thinking about ordering from this place: http://www.kaehny.de/export/export.htm DO NOT DO IT!. I am going to make my way around several forums now and spread the word not to EVER purchase anything from this company!!!

2. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I'm guessing you weren't the one who posted on Subguns today? This ATF thing isn't worrying me, but I just don't want the ATF coming around anytime soon, because they can legally come into the house and search for stuff (because of the NFA items I own). Oh well, if they come let em.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Nope, wasn't on Subguns today. Got a link?

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

There's a thread on AR15.com as well. This looks to be pretty wide spread.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I went to Subguns and shared my story. Saw where the other guy had folks show up at 0630.

Very wide spread indeed. They need to put the smackdown on the German guy!

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

eek..they are on a whole campaign

8. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

:noes: glad everything was ok.atf been getting strict lately.my buddy colllect allot of guns so they went to his house and made him sign some bullshit paperwork i forgot what was it for though.

9. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

So they didn't take your P22 frame? I'm kinda shocked about that actually, because isn't that considered a firearm? Or is the slide the firearm on the P22 (my mind isn't in the right place right now)?

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Blk, you're wrong on both assumptions.

The frame houses the "trigger pack" which has the numbers stamped on it. On the frame, there is simply a window where one can observe these numbers. So, the frame and the slide can be sold with no restrictions.

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

they can't search your home just because you own NFA firearms. that's a huge myth. it stems from the days when the ATF allowed people with FFL's to list their residence as their place of business. i believe that they have since made it so that you have to have some sort of division between the two, even if they're in the same building. either way, that's the only way the ATF could search your home without a warrant, because they weren't really there to search your home, but instead your place of business. they just happened to be the same place.

shacklemenot posted the link to the glocktalk thread on lightfighter, that's where i saw it. sucks to your assmar.

12. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Nice :cool:

13. Another reason to buy "Made in America" parts....

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Interestingly enough, I've had contact w/ another gun owner who had contact from agents today. He had his barrel and comp seized and was told that he could possibly be arrested for importation of illegal items. My agents didn't say such a thing, but I wonder what might arise when they get back to the office.

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i'd slam the door in their faces, and shoot them if they tried to come in without a warrant. or, i'd just curl up in a ball right there on the floor and cry.

16. Platinum_Thunder

:rolleyes:

17. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Well shit, I'm going to order me a suppressor or two. :naughty:

(Just kidding Mr. ATF Agent. :noes:)

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

i saw a good bit of those auctions on gunbroker, i'm glad i didnt order anything from them now :noes:

19. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

ATF agent just called. I have to turn in my frame and 5" barrel.

These forms were illegal to import without filling out a Form 6 with customs, I think.

Going to the local office at 1500 to turn in the parts. Details will follow later.

20. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Did they say why? if the parts (individually) were under $100 you should be able to keep them if they aren't serial numbered as you said earlier. But I do believe that the ATF ruling was that the grip frame was the firearm, but I'm sure you can fight the barrel. Don't fall victim to some nazi shit the ATF is trying to dish out, there are lawyers available to help you with this if you're interested in fighting it.

Personally I would fight the barrel to simply deny the priviledge of the ATF telling me what to do. (but if you did pay more than a $100 bux for it, its a moot point)

21. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

any chance of you getting your stuff back from them?

22. Platinum_Thunder

:sad2:

23. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Sorry for the delayed update. Bought a new PC today and have been busy.

Okay, so I went to the local BATFE office today to surrender my grip fram and barrel. I did not need to turn in the comp nor the scope or scope mount.

I got there and was greeted by the agent outside the Strom Thurmond Federal Building. I gave him the parts and then went inside and through the metal detectors. We proceeded to go upstairs to their office that is within the huge building.

Once in there, I was asked to take a seat in a conference room. While sitting, another agent came and introduced himself and thanked me for cooperating the way I have and expressed his graditude.

One of the agents who came to my house came in the room and started filling out a form; something about items surrendered. It basically said that I had no rights to the parts listed -- barrel and frame.

I signed, he signed, the witness signed.

I pried a little, but they wouldn't tell me much. Found out there were 6 searches by some of the people in that office that happened yesterday. All of them turned up something. They said that the search after me didn't go so well and arrests were made.

Anyhow, things went over well and I was thanked many times.

Now, it gets better -- wait, there's more...

After about 1.5 hours of my being gone, my cell phone rings. It's my newfound friend, Mr. ATF. Guess what -- there has been some confusion and I can actually have my frame back; the only thing they wanted to keep was the barrel. So, we arranged to schedule a meet on Monday.

Go figure! Talk about a freakin' run around. Next, I'll get my frame back and then they'll take it again. New forms have to be filed, but no biggie. At least, in the end, I'll only be out the barrel and a couple of gallons of gasoline...

24. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

My p22 came with the 5" barrel and comp, why are they seizing that?
    I'll trade you for a 3" bbl.

25. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member