At what point should I start wearing a belt for DL's? Bad to do 1RM weekly?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I had been doing 5x5 training for DL's but I don't like doing so many reps... Now I'm doing lower-rep sets after my first couple 5-rep warmup sets, working up to my 1RM once a week (yesterday was 315... my grip can't take anything higher yet)

Two questions already in the title. Should I be wearing a belt for my 1RM's if I'm going to be doing them every week? Should I even be doing 1RM's every week?

It's only been 2 weeks that I stopped doing exact 5x5 for DL's and honestly my lower back feels better this way than doing higher rep sets (don't feel pain either way... but the area definitely feels stressed with 5x5).... lack of form deterioration perhaps? :dunno:

2. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

If you are on the 5x5, it should be set up to peak in either week 6 or 8, so you would attempt a 1rm at the end of each cycle.

At your level though, you're progressing much faster than an advanced lifter would be. I think you'd be safe doing it every 3 weeks or so.

Belts I have mixed feelings on. I love my inzer lever belt:hs:

3. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Do whatever the hell you want. Try a belt and if you like it, wear it. If you don't, then don't wear it. It is as simple as that really, fuck whatever people on here might tell you, all you are gonna get is a bunch of guys that pull 225lbs telling you that belts are for pussies.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

word, I'm just worried about developing injury really...

but then again I'm usually of the opinion that "if you ain't hurtin, don't go to the doctor"... If I start to get irritation/pain then I'll switch it up. :bigthumb:

And right now I don't really feel like I need/want a belt. I think the biggest limitation to my DL is my grip.... but I do double overhand so I should probably switch it up next time and see if it's any better. It just feels unnatural :o And my spine is so kyphotic that my lower back is never really curved anyways even when I lean over, although with the heavy weight I can definitely feel it straightening out of its arch to some extent.

5. TZ

TZ Banned

i have hurt my back while wearing a belt. it added a false sense of security. For me the only difference is that I can lift more weight with a belt.

My advice to you is to not wear a belt in training unless you are going for some kind of milestone or huge PR. If you don't I'm pretty sure your abs and back will get stronger than if you wore a belt for every 'heavy' set.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Use hook grip if you dont like double OH, just prepare for no feeling in your thumbs after a couple weeks

And what do you mean your lower back is never curved, it should be straight

7. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

you'll eventually get used to the hook grip right :wtc: ,better than under/over?

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I love double OH.... but people always say to use one hand under one hand over because you can grip higher weights better.

9. nitak

nitak New Member

i'll use a belt if my lower back doesn't feel 100%, but i still want to workout, because it helps relieve some stress on your lower back. But still it doesn't seem like a good idea to do 1rm's every week. I been doing my pb 5 on deads for the past 3 weeks, and i already feel burned out already.

10. Mojo

Mojo New Member

<---- 1-3rm's

11. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

He is saying that his lower back is like yours, he has lordosis. Doing the deadlifts causes his back to become straight during the exercise, achieving a kyphotic rounding is impossible for him to achieve.

At least that is what my reading comprehension skills have led me to believe.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

No, I don't believe I have lordosis... but the entire curvature of my back (not just lower) is a little too strong (what I've understood to be the textbook definition of kyphosis)... and unless I purposely tilt my pelvis inward and bend from the spine, my lower back won't really curve (curve in the bad way, not arch).... and it's pretty much always arched slightly.... If I try squatting ass2grass, my lower back will curve.

It's really my thoracic area that's stuck in a strong position, and because of that immobility, my lower back has to arch more to compensate.

[​IMG]

I suppose that in the deadlift realm, kyphosis is a good thing? :confused: And I'm not as bad of a case as in that picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  13. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I never use a belt

14. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

....thus making you a god among men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.