AT&T data package tethering questions..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by interstate76, Sep 27, 2009.

1. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

Hey guys, I'm currently with Verizon, and am looking to switch in a few weeks when my contract is up..

I'm trying to decide which way I want to go, and I think I'll probably end up with AT&T..

I was thinking about possibly getting an iPhone, but I don't know if I would really use the features enough to justify the $30 data package. Anyway, I was reading some stuff online about tethering, and from what I read, with non-iPod phones, you can get the data package and tether it to a laptop, providing internet service to a laptop.. I went into a store and the girl told me that its $30 more, on top of the data package.

Anyone know anything about this? If I could get internet service through the phone, I'd go for a blackberry or whatever and get a data package, but not if its really $60..

2. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

Also, it just seems redundant to have to pay for a second data package, when you're already paying for the bandwidth for data. But then again, cell phone companies blow my mind when it comes to the stuff they charge for, so nothing would surprise me.

3. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

yeah, in for a real explanation of this

4. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

5. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Has tethering even been announced for the iPhone yet?? Or you're just going by what the girl in the store said?

6. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I thought there was a hack you could install to do tethering with the 3GS.

7. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

There are ways around it right now...but due to the uncertainty once a tethering package 'is' released he/she could get charged regardless.

8. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

I know the iphone has a hack that can be done. ATT does charge $30 for 5 gigs of bandwidth for tethering. However, I've been tethering my phone to my laptop fine with my blackberry. I did purchase a program for it though called tetherberry. It was $50 but I'd rather pay it once and have it connect fine then pay $30/mo for it.

9. interstate76

interstate76 New Member

I'm not actually talking about the iPhone, I was talking about other phones (ie: blackberry).. I read that tethering isn't yet available for the iphone, but I read that you can do it with other non-iphone phones w/ the data package. I just wanted someone to confirm that you can do this without pay a $30 a month fee on top of the $30 data fee that you'd already be paying.

10. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

You can do it...but if AT&T realizes you are downloading a lot without a tethering plan they could charge you. Just remember it's a possibility. That's not to say that if you are caught without a tethering plan then you could just call and play dumb.

Programs like 'pdanet' or something allow tethering...iirc.