At long last... my Mac OS prayers have been answered!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dmora, Jun 28, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

Click the image.

[​IMG]

:bowdown:

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Cool. :)

3. dmora

dmora Guest

now i can batch rename my pr0n pix from 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg... and so on to Hot Blonde 01.jpg...

:mamoru:

4. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I honestly think Tiger is going to be fucking amazing; and this isn't fanboyism. They seriously have nailed a lot of absolutely incredible ideas.

1.) It's great to see the dashboard. I've always wanted something like Konfabulator that didn't suck. This is going to be great. My one beef is that it doesn't really look like it's part of the OS.
    2.) Automater, what you mentioned, is a fucking godsend. I mean it's not what I thought it would be, but it's pretty dammned cool.
    3.) RSS in Safari. I'm sold.
    4.) New new iChat looks fucking dope as does the new .Mac. I might have to shell out for an iSight and a .Mac account now; damn youse Jobs
    5.) Aluminum Cinema Displays. Holy Fuck.
    6.) :bow: metadata search. Isn't this what pushed back longhorn about 2 years. That's the ultimate fuck you to microsoft.

Something else I noticed about the dashboard. That's essentially an application of what XAML (or whatever the fuck the acronym is) and the longhorn sidebar was going to be. They just figured out a way to do it without stealing screen real estate. Classy.

Somethings that sorta disappointed me.
    1.) No new Appleworks. Please for the love of God, Apple, let me get rid of the last thing from MS that I have. Please, i fucking beg you.
    2.) When the workflow manager was rumored I didn't think we were going to get Automater. I though what it was going to be was something sort of like fast user switching which would allow you to have different enviorments for different tasks. For example, I do primarily 3 things on my Powermac. Surf the net and regular productivity shit, develop websites, video editing. What would be great would be if they could figure out a way that I could have a dropdown, maybe in the Apple menu, that would let me have different workspaces. If I click on my video editing workspace, the dock changes to all my video editing applications and I get all my video related folders on my desktop. If I click on my regular surfing workspace it hides my video editing dock and give me my Mail, iChat, Safari, Camino, etc.. dock with whatever I want on the desktop. Point being, it would a) give me all the tools needed for a specific task instead of having to clutter up my desktop and my dock, and b) keep me on task. You have no clue how often I start dicking around online when I'm editing. This would help me keep on task because it would take extra effort to get to a browser. Nobody does this, and it would be a killer app.

5. dmora

dmora Guest

i hear what you are saying on the last bit.. Itd be nice to have a gaming side, web/mail side, and productivity side in terms of "user switching".

But i think 10.4 will be just a fantastic update as 10.3 was. Expose still makes my pen0s hard.
    :mamoru:

6. acabrera

I know, i'm asking too much. But that would be so bad ass.

7. dmora

dmora Guest

you could technically do it just by user switching. Make a productivity user, a web user and an other user.

8. maczter

sounds like a job for virtual desktops?

9. maczter

Have you tried OpenOffice yet? I just installed it on my XP laptop, but haven't tried the mac version yet.

10. violator

violator New Member

no 17"

BOOOOOOOO

11. acabrera

i've tried virtual desktops and it's just not quite what i'm looking for.

OpenOffice won't have a native mac version until 2006 for some reason. I'm half hoping Apple picks up the project like they've done with a bunch of other OSS and decide to really put some polish into it.

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: no more hacking php scripts together to batch rename stuff