SRS At a crossroad in my life, unsure what of what to do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TonyMontana, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TonyMontana

TonyMontana Black and Gold

Ok, well I will start by saying I am 19. I have been out of highschool since 07, and have only taken 1 post secondary class for carpentry right after highschool. It was a 6 week course and allowed me my level 1 in carpentry. Since then, I have been working for the same employer. I left for Australia for 3 months (returned in may) and have been working since. However, I have been very restless lately. It seems as though I am not sure what I want to do with the rest of my life. I have recently been seriously considering applying for eployment with my local police department, however my driving record prohibits me from getting my full license for another year, which is a necessary requirement. I feel as though I should go back to school but my parents, who make less money then I do, have no means of helping me pay for school, as neither of them took any post secondary and ended up with shitty jobs. I am wanting also to move out of their house, but I am not sure what would happen financially to me if I did (I make 18 dollars an hour, and am pretty good with my finances, and work a full 80 hours a week, sometimes more) and if I would be able to continue working towards my goal of being a police officer at some point in my life. It just feels as though right now i am stuck in a rut, and I really am not sure what to do about it. I recently have starting going to the gym agian, because i would like to get into better shape. My life other than that is pretty good, other than the fact that I have been unlucky lately with women (I am attractive enough to get decent women, of that I am quite sure) but lately i have been struggling. It also feels like all the people I gradded with are "passing" me in life because they are all attending university and college and actually getting an education.

2. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

If you are truly serious about going back to school, then fill out a fafsa and get the loans and go back to school.

Or, considering you are making 18 dollars per hour, 80 hours a week, you could probably save enough money for tuition in about a year. :hsugh:

3. TonyMontana

TonyMontana Black and Gold

The thing is, I want to further my education, but I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I dont particularly enjoy school either, and have a loan i am currently paying off.

4. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Well go online and take some personality/career tests (google it) and figure out if any of the results seem like things you'd like to do.

Once you figure out what you want to do, then you need to figure out how you are a going to acheive it, and the main thing is finances.

Then you can figure out how much of a loan you need to finance it, how much you can work part time to help fund things like the current loan you are paying, etc.

5. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

ESTP "Promoter": These are action-oriented people, often sophisticated, sometimes ruthless -- our "James Bonds." As mates, they are exciting and charming, but they have trouble with commitment. They make good promoters, entrepreneurs, and con artists. 13% of the total population.

This is really interesting. I'm not sure if this is who I am or who I want to be. Maybe it's both

6. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

i would say that you shouldn't worry about it too much. you're only 19.

worry about it if you're 24 and in this sitatuion

7. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

Are we to assume that you don't like being a carpenter? Because carpentry is a skilled trade that is always in demand somewhere.
    Have you considered taking some small business management courses, so that you could someday start your own gig? Remodeling, additions, custom decks... lots of possibilities for a guy who's good with a hammer.

In my neck of the woods, it seems that money can't buy a decent contractor. Anyone with real talent is so busy they can rarely be bothered to even return phone calls.

At 19, the world is your oyster... figure out what you like doing, and do it to the fullest. Money isn't everything.

Finally, don't expect your parents to dish out for your education. Anything worth a damn, is worth paying for.