Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Nov 23, 2004
    This post will be updated as needed. Please post your personal experience, details, links, and suggestions in this thread. :)

Versions of the ASVAB
    1. High School version (Forms 18/19)
      • Intended for career counseling.
      • Can also be used for enlistment.
    2. Paper ASVAB (Forms 20-22)
      • The questions are different from the High School version, but are equal in difficulty.
      • The paper version is rarely given now, due to the wide availability of the computer version.
    3. CAT-ASVAB (computer administered test version of Forms 20-22)
      • See the "Taking the CAT-ASVAB" section below for more info.

The AFQT Score
    1. AFQT stands for "Armed Forces Qualifying Test" and is used to determine whether you can join the military or not.
    2. The AFQT is a percentile score comparing your raw and weighted scores to one of two study groups.
      • An AFQT of 99 means your scores were better than 99% of your study group.
      • The highest possible AFQT score is 99. (think about it)
    3. Depending on when you took the test, a high AFQT score will be easier or harder to attain.
      • If you took your test after July 1, 2004, your scores are compared to a 1997 sample group.
      • Earlier tests were compared to a 1980 group.
      • Over the years, the average score has increased, which is what prompted the "re-norming" of the AFQT in 1997.
      • The purpose of "re-norming" was to make higher scores more difficult to attain.
    4. Your AFQT raw score is determined using a formula that is based on your weighted AR, MK, and VE scores, with different weight given to harder and easier questions. This raw score is then compared to the 1997 or 1980 test group and converted into a percentile score.
      • The AR, MK, and VE scores on your results sheet are correct answers, not weighted results, so you cannot use the scores given to you on your ASVAB results sheet to determine your AFQT score.
      • The raw AFQT is used to determine the percentile comparison that your final AFQT score reflects.
    5. Your AFQT % will place you into one of five enlistement groups:
      • Category I: > 92%
      • Category II: 65%-92%
      • Category III: 31%-64% (there are two subgroups)
      • Category IV: 10%-30% (there are three subgroups)
      • Category V: < 10%
    6. By law, no Category V candidates can join the military, and only 20% of enlistees can be from Category IV (and they must be High School graduates).
    7. The AFQT is used only to screen you for enlistment purposes. It is not used to qualify you to be trained for a specific job.

Composite Scores
    1. Your Composite Scores are used to qualify you to be trained in a specific job (MOS/AFSC/Rating).
    2. The Composite Scores are made up of individual ASVAB sub-test scores.
    3. Each branch of the service arrives at their Composite Scores differently.

Taking the CAT-ASVAB

1. The Computer version of the ASVAB is administered at MEPS.
    2. There will be several computers in a room, with normal keyboards and monitors.
    3. The keyboards are configured specifically for the test
      • There will be five keys labled "A, B, C, D, and E".
      • The spacebar will be labled "Enter".
      • There is a red "Help" button at the top.
    4. The test is broken up into nine sub-categories:
      1. General Science (GS) - 25 questions with an 11 minute time-limit.
      2. Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) - 16 questions with a 36 minute time-limit.
      3. Word Knowledge (WK) - 35 questions with an 11 minute time-limit.
      4. Paragraph Comprehension (PC) - 15 questions with a 13 minute time-limit.
      5. Auto & Shop (AS) - 25 questions with an 11 minute time-limit.
      6. Mathematics Knowledge (MK) - 25 questions with a 24 minute time-limit.
      7. Mechanical Comprehension (MC) - 25 questions with a 19 minute time-limit.
      8. Electronics Information (EI) - 20 questions with a 9 minute time-limit.
      9. Assembling Objects (AS) - 16 questions with a 9 minute time-limit.
    5. If you spend too long on a single question, the test will lock and you will need to press the "Help" button to get the administrator to unlock it. This isn't meant to punish or embarrass you - only to ensure that you haven't died from a heart attack or seizure (j/k).
    6. You get one practice question before you begin each timed section.
    7. Once you answer a question and go on to the next one, you will not have the option to go back and review or change your answer.
    8. When you get an answer right, the computer automatically selects a more difficult question, which is worth more points.
    9. When you get a question wrong, the computer selects an easier question next, which is worth less points.

1. ASVAB results are valid for two years.
    2. After taking an initial ASVAB Test, you can retake the ASVAB after 30 days.
      • An ASVAB test taken in High School doesn't count as an "initial test".
      • After the re-test, you have to wait at least six months before you can take the test again.
      • Each branch of the military has their own rules about when/if a retest can be given.
    3. Your latest ASVAB scores, not the highest, will be used for service and job qualifications.

• I'll be damned if I know what the max scores for the ASVAB are, but I know my scores (link).
    • The maximum scores for the ASVAB are not the same as the maximum scores for the AFCT (link).
    • If someone can find a good, solid, accurate source for maximum CAT-ASVAB (computer administered test) scores, please link me to it and I'll update this post. :x:
  2. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

Oct 21, 2003
    You know those are your sons test scores. J/k old man, nice job showing up all the youngsters who took the test around you. :cool:
  3. Ranger-AO

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks. It wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as when I took it back in High School. :mamoru:
  4. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Should update for the Canadian version of the ASVAB test, the CFAT.
  5. Ranger-AO

Nov 23, 2004
    Details and link? :)
  6. net_prophet

net_prophet Tactical Texan

May 28, 2001
    There not kidding when they said the questions get harder if you get them right. I couldn't believe how much hardre some of the math questions got.
  7. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

Jun 13, 2004
    you can add this too.

Army line scores are determined as follows:

• CL—Clerical—VE+AR+MK
    • CO—Combat—AR+AS+MC
    • EL—Electronics—GS+AR+MK+EI
    • FA—Field Artillery—AR+MK+MC
    • GM—General Maintenance—GS+AS+MK+EI
    • GT—General Technical—VE+AR
    • MM—Mechanical Maintenance—AS+MC+EI