Asus Motherboard won't install OS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Jul 26, 2005.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

ok, so im fixing my friends computer, and he told me that he couldnt install an os. i thought "wow, that sounds weird" so i asked him if i could check it out. i installed windows xp on it with absolutely not problems on an Asrock motherboard (which wasn't his motherboard) and then i swapped it out, and put his Asus P4C800 Deluxe in, and i tried installing windows xp, and it was doing great, until it started to register components. once it hits that point in the installation, the computer shuts off. when i turn it back on, it re starts the set up from where the last restart was during the installation. i tried installing win2k, and it did the exact same thing. it just shuts off when registering components. i havent tried booting with knoppix or anything to see if it works yet. but it has to be the motherboard. any ideas? :ugh: im hoping it's something that can be changed with out needing to purchase a new motherboard. HELP! :x:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It sounds like a piece of shit ECS board I saw recently with Win2000. The CMOS battery died and after replacing it, it would blue screen during bootup if his PCI firewire card was installed. Long story short: I disabled ACPI and reloaded Windows. This computer's done weird crap before. Stupid $59 ECS Fry's motherboard.

3. hurleyint1386

well the thing is, it worked fine for the longest time. i dont know what happened to it. but now it just shuts off. there is no blue screen or anything

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah this guys machine worked fine too until his CMOS battery died. After that setup would reboot the machine during Pnp detection. Killing ACPI is the only thing I found that would let it finish.

5. hurleyint1386

where is ACPI located in the BIOS?

6. hurleyint1386

actually, i found it. i disabled it, and im gonna hope it works out. ill let you know

7. hurleyint1386

i tried installing xp, and it shut off again during registering components :-\

8. hurleyint1386

bump, im still in need of help :-\ anyone else have any other suggestions?

9. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Switch it on and check temps in the BIOS as quick as you can after it shuts off. What you described will happen on a P4 if it hits somewhere over 70C. Try running memtest and see if you get errors, change out with known good memory if possible. Try a different power supply, one with a lot of juice.

10. hurleyint1386

the ram is perfect, and so is the power suppl. like i said before, it was running perfectly on an asrock motherboard. ill try checking the cpu temps once it shuts off

11. hurleyint1386

the computer restarted, and the cpu temp was at 37.5 C

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Have you disabled everything and swapped out the vid card? When you swapped out the asrock, what parts were the same?

13. hurleyint1386

all parts were the exact same. i just had to change the motherboard. the video card is fine. ill try disabling a bunch of stuff and see what happens

14. hurleyint1386

nothings happening. however i kept the computer running for a little while and kept the BIOS open, and i was monitoring the cpu temp. it does continuously grow. so with this motherboard, the heat does seem to rise. should i try turning down the core voltage?

15. hurleyint1386

it seems to stay steady at 46 degrees C. but ive tried changing everything to see if there's any difference, and there's nothing

16. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

This may be a sign that the heatsink isn't working too well. Pull it off, clean sink and chip with isopropyl alcohol, reapply a thin layer of thermal goo and put it back together.

I'm at a loss why else this would be occurring unless the board is just borked in some really strange way.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think the board is damaged. All of the componentsare pretty much standard now, there should be no problem with Windows being able to detect, identify, and use them unless one of them is malfunctioning and issuing an evil command to the rest of the board when it gets told what to do by the OS.