ASUS Mobo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Oct 16, 2005.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Since I didn't get any responses in my other topic here it is again under a different title:

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that came with a Pentium 4C 2.8ghz HT cpu and I'd like to rip it out and put it into a new mobo.

I wanted to get an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe but it looks like they're discontinued (yeah I shoulda done this a couple of years ago :wtc: ) -- I can still get this motherboard but don't want to pay $200 - $300 for it.

I've noticed that Asus has a similar (?) board the P4P800-E and was wondering if I could use this board instead? I don't understand the differences in the two boards -- the 1st board works on the Intel 875 chipset and the P4P works on the 865 chipset--does this mean that I need to get a different board/chip combo?

Sigh, I've been out of the loop for a while now and don't really know what works with what now as I haven't been keeping up.

Basically, I'd like to rip most of my components out of the Dell system and put it into a new mobo, case & psu and overclock the system. I know at the time the Asus was the best board for this Northwood processor but if anyone else has any other advice please let me know otherwise I guess I'll scour for the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Just a different northbridge chipset, 875 was supposed to be a lot better performance but it really wasn't. The 865 chipset will work fine, I'd get the P4P board and be done with it.

It'll be recommended that you format and do a fresh install however if you swap the Dell mobo for a new Asus one.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Mikey D: Thanks, I didn't want to spend the extra 100 bux if the peformance was going to be the same. Thanks again for letting me know what's up. Nothing but good karma for you man. :big grin:

As for the re-format, yeah definitely will be doing that. :bigthumb:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I prefer VIA chipsets myself. All my homebuilt komps use(d) them and I've never had any problems or noticeable bottlenecks.

As far as PC-component-compatibility is concerned, the rule of thumb is the same as it's always been: if it plugs in, it should work fine. There are always exceptions though, I suppose.

5. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Like the Via KT400 and the Radeon 9600 series in 8X AGP mode :hsugh:?