Asus Eee PC worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry Pothead, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

I need want a laptop with wifi capabilities and the usual.

I was reading on this months Popular Sci. mag. that you can switch the OS from linux to Xp and also do a slight modification like put in 2gb Ram vs 512mb that's in there. And other stuff.

I'll be using it for internet mainly on the go, have a desktop that do most of my other stuff.

So was wondering is the 300 worth it or should I look into a more deals for laptops that has more options? Btw 300 isn't my limit for a laptop, it just looks nifity :o

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's difficult to get it to work right with XP. Buy an old Thinkpad off eBay instead.

3. N D S

N D S you're like salsa, thick and chunky

I'd suggest a thinkpad x31 or x32 off of ebay, which i am considering now. (Swap a 7200rpm Hd and upgrade the ram) and you'll have a very capable machine with 4-5 hours of battery life. (the x40 uses a 1.8 hard drive which is difficult/expensive to upgrade and is only 4200rpm which slows down the system a lot). The x30,1,2 does weigh 3.5 lbs though which is heavy compared to the eeePC. I also heard that the 800 x 600 resolution on the asus hampers it a lot.

4. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i love mine... tried xp on it but went back to the OS that came with it... I mean if you wanna have fun get the 2g and change out hardware and have a badass lil computer.... theres tutorials all over net showing how to add more usb's, add gps, change out its 2gb flash with up to a 32gb flash, how to put up to like 8gb ram, put better camera in, better speakers,

its small, easy to learn. fun. hardest thing is learning the keyboard.... had mine for around 3 months... comes with openoffice and firefox so you can pretty much do anything...

can also change some of the stuff on command lines to make it a desktop version of the os it comes with...

with xp it was hard to read since its a small screen compared to what xp was made for. never heard a great review for a mac os on it.

seriously considering buying/doing all the hardware mods and an external hd instead of buying a macbook for college, thats how easy/reliable it is...

PS you'll need at least 4g to have the panel on back for ram removal - otherwise you have to take keyboard off as shown in the article and that will void the warrantee...

i baught mine since i had surgery on my dominant arm... needed something for easy note taking in class...

if you got any more questions pm me i guess...

if i had the option to buy it or another laptop like the cloud thing, id buy this again...

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pretty pointless, imo. Get an older used laptop, or pony up for a new one -- they're not that much more, yet they're infinitely more powerful.

6. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Thanks for all the info guys i'm just trying to get some opinions about it and perhaps pros and cons, but yea they had a link for the hardcore modders for the eee pc

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hell, if you really want a tiny computer, Fujitsu makes two really small ones, one with an 8.9" screen and one with a 5" screen. I'd recommend the 8.9" screen one, though, because the really small one is basically impossible to type on.

My mom has this one. It's very nice. Actually, this one has dual-core too, which makes it even nicer:

[​IMG]

If you really wanted tiny, though, you could get this:

[​IMG]

8. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I have a dell 700m which only has a 2ghz single core but I can get 5 hours out of the extended battery and I rarely have any problems with the laptop. I take it to class with me every day and with the extended battery the weight is still very light by comparison to my last laptop. They can be had on ebay for 400-500 if not lower. This is the only dell computer that I feel safe recommending to others. About 4-5 of my other friends have it and they all love it. I would like to get one of those 8.9" fujitsus though, thats fuckin tight.

9. Sexbomb

Sexbomb New Member

:werd: I'm going to be needing one for college soon. Keeping an eye out for deals. They seem to be way plentiful.

10. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

LOL holy shit do u have to punch in the keys with a toothpick geez