Asus A7N8X Deluxe weirdness with Athlon 2100 proc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Whalephat, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I am running a new Asus A7N8X Deluxe board at home with an Athlon XP 2100+ proc, one stick of Crucial DDR 2700 memory (512MB), an aluminum anodized shim beneath the fan/heatsink and a CoolerMaster HHC-001 fan/heatsink. All of this is in a SuperMicro SC760-A full tower case with a buttload of fans.

This morning (6am or so) I noticed that the voice alert thing on the Asus mobo was sounding off "System Failed CPU Test". WTF?

I had been running the Asus Probe utility overnight, recording the CPU temp to a history file because I was curious about the average temp this thing was seeing ... and it was only hitting 96 degrees F over a 12 hour period.

Well, I fired up the Asus Probe again while this voice alert thing is going off and I see that the CPU temp is now at 127 degrees F and the core voltage is showing an alert status at 4.08v instead of the prescribed 3.3v

Any ideas? I had to leave for work so I just shut the whole thing down and left it as is until I can take a longer look at it this evening.

All of this lead me to do some more research on the net and now I'm seeing where previous boards were prone to give this same "System Failed CPU Test" voice alert erroneously. But the core voltage thing really bothers me. 4.08v is a bit high, don't you think?

Has my CPU taken a shit on me? :(

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

If you don't get an answer you like, check out asusboards.com which is a forum site dedicated to support of Asus motherboards.

3. Whalephat

Tnx man. I am going to head over there now.

4. Whalephat

Okay, by way of an update...

The alert status was on what the manual refers to as the VCORE +3.3V voltage. This value is automatically detected by watching the voltage output through the voltage regulators.

Thoughts? :confused:

5. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

I am not too sure, but you may want to try a new power supply. Some motherboards use the 3.3v + 5v rail to power the cpu & RAM, and others just the 5v rail. If that asus board uses the 3.3v rail, and it is flucuating that much, it may be causing your processor's voltage to flucuate a bit too. That may be causing the asus utility to throw out an error regarding the cpu. Your cpu should be fine though.

6. Whalephat

Yeah, I was starting to think "power supply" earlier myself so I went to CompUSA during lunch and bought an Antec True430 430W power supply. I am going to install it tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

Chances are, the little 300W PS in my SuperMicro case just isn't up to the challenge of the new Athlon XP processor and all the other crap I have in this box. :)

7. Whalephat

It turns out that it was indeed the power supply. Replaced it with the new & bigger 430W Antec and all of my problems went away. :big grin:

8. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!