A&P Astrophotography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Jul 18, 2008.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Is this the right place to talk about astrophotography or a different section?
    Move it if so and here goes.

Anyone else do it? I have been into astronomy for over 20 years, but am finally getting around to making a real attempt at astrophotography.
    My equipment is a celestron C-8 scope, CG-5 mount, canon 40D, and a bunch of computer equipment and wires to run everything:)

Here's a pic I made a few weeks ago. Its of galaxy M51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy) for anyone who cares.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/2ndprocessed.jpg

I didn't get a lot of data in that image due to clouds passing through. Only 6 3 minute frames stacked and all the red noise is me trying out and learning about dark frame subtraction so I was shooting with the in camera noise reduction off (saves a bunch of time out in the dark, but is more work at the computer to remove the noise.)

Can't wait to get out and try some more once the moon leaves me alone.

Evan

2. themolsen

themolsen New Member

neat. cant wait to see more

3. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

do you use some sort of tracking mount?

4. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Wow, nice. Post more :x:

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

that's pretty sweet. in for more pics

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yeah the mount lines up with true north and then rotates on one axis to keep the object locked in the same position on the camera's sensor. In the days of film work and before some other really nice advancements in computer guiding you had to perfectly align the mount then look through an eyepiece attached near the camera and make the adjustments with the mounts control panel.

Thats why I didn't bother. You had to do this for shots as long as 90 minutes and even more if you wanted a better picture.

Now in the digital age its a bit easier to do so I'm in to try and learn. My pictures totally suck now compared to others and compared to what I'll be taking after a few more times out. Tonight with the moon ruining any deep sky stuff I decided to disassemble the mount outside and do a live fine tune of the drive system. I'm a copier tech by trade so doing that sort of work in the dark is just a little more challenging than my daily activities.

Thanks, I'll post more when I get some. Probably in a week or two since the moons still up.

Evan

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i really want to get into astrophotography once i have some more monies :noes:

8. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

:werd:

how much did your setup cost?? Im afraid its a little to baller for my budget

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

is there something going on tonight? overheard something on the news..?

10. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Pics is not working, please directly upload here...

11. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

no gravity lensing, no care

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

should have tried to find a 20Da instead of the 40D :o

13. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Astral Photography

14. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

Astro Photography:

[​IMG]

15. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

that's insanely badass. i've had a telescope on my xmas list for ages now, but never got one.

what sort of $$ do you have in your telescope & mount (well, everything but the camera)?

16. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yeah yeah 20Da is designed with astronomy in mind, but I bet its hard to find to many people that will just let go of a discontinued model and I'm not sure if 20Da had live view like the 40D. Which by the way makes focusing so easy.

As for the money in the telescope. The optical tube is probably $1 - 1.2K and the mount is about $700. The optics I got when I was a kid in the 80's out of a local news paper so I got a great price and its a very high quality piece from celestron back when they hand made/matched the mirrors. Now as with everything else they don't work them to the same tolerances so you don't always get a precision piece.

The mount is about the cheapest fully automated mount that celestron sells. It works great, but it had the usual Asian made electronics problems when I unpacked it (they use a horrible white grease that should be cleaned and replaced from every thing you buy.) Its designed with a lot of adjustment that can be done if your not afraid to give it a try.

As with any hobby you can spend less than $1,000 for a set up that can take some good enough shots or you can spend about as much as you can dream and get some as well.

Evan

17. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Very nice man, i have always been interested in astronomy, my next hobby that i am gonna invest money into, is gonna be a good telescope.