MIL associates or bachelors for OCS?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Aug 20, 2008.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Im almost posative its going to require a bachelors but you never know until you ask.

2. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

bachelors

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Bachelors for non-Army applicants, active duty Soldiers only need a minimum of 90 credit hours to apply.

4. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

yep, usually 4 year degree

5. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

What are the odds of getting accepted to OCS with only 90 credit hours, instead of a full bachelors?

After I get my associates, two more semesters would but me at 90 hours, could I get my 90, join active military, then immediatly apply to OCS?

Is being a officer all its made out to be? Like, is the huge responsability of mens lifes in your hands worth the extra pay and presteige?

FYI im considering Army

EDIT: Also whats the difference between NCO and a commisioned officer?

6. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Being an officer isn't about extra pay and prestige it's about the huge responsibility of lives in your hands.

This is obviously the idealist in me speaking but if the sole reason you want to be an officer isn't to train and lead Marines/Soldiers/Airmen/Sailors then you shouldn't be an officer.

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Odds of enlisting in the Army and dropping an OCS packet w/ only 90 credit hours and getting selected right after getting to your 1st unit isn't high imo. You usually need to be an established NCO within your unit, and recommended by your Platoon Leader/Company Commander/etc...

Is being an Officer all it's made out to be? Well there's a big difference in responsibility vice NCO vs Officer (I'm a prior E-6), plus you're held accountable for every little thing that involves your platoon/company. Battalion Commander's don't go looking for the NCO/Soldier that dropped the ball...they go to the Officer in Charge for answers. The pay reflects the increased responsibility, and the prestige is up to the individual. As an Officer, you're expected to lead from the front.....does that always happen...hell no......there's a lot of d-bag O's running amok...but they quickly get pointed out for who they are. Just make sure if you want to be an Officer, ask yourself a simple question....

"Why do I want to be an United States Army Officer?"

8. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

...when I could apply, attend, and graduate Marine OCS before I even graduated college (and then wait until I graduated college to commission)?

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

But then you're a Marine :greddy:

10. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

True, MacDill AFB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Camp Lejeune

11. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

im currently enlisted air force, was thinking about doing blue to green and when i talked to a helicopter army pilot he said "dont ever go into the army as of right now you live a better life then i do." so having an army officer saying an enlisted air force dorm resident has better living conditions than him is saying something.

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Isn't the grass always greener on the other side?

13. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Was that Officer in flight school still? If he is, then he is treated as a student and life sucks for him when at work, but he still chooses where he lives (off-post). He doesn't live in a dorm. If he isn't in flight school, then he once again chooses where he lives. So, either that officer chooses to live in a shithole, or you are full of shit. Do you honestly think a military pilot has a lower QOL than a junior enlisted Airmen? :rofl: I have heard some dumb statements from Airmen before, but seriously, this tops all of the previous elitist bullshit I have heard.

After being in both services I will say that there is very little difference in quality of life. The main reason Airmen tend to think they have a better QOL is because the discipline is so lax in the Air Force. They think they are treated better, when in fact it's just poor leadership.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008