Associate of Technology Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BradUF, Mar 17, 2007.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I am at a community college and I have to take 23 credit hours of electives. I have always been pretty good with computers and the classes would be easy for me, so I figure I will just take all computer classes, Networking, Micro archtech and what not. How much more work is it to get an AS then an AA? I plan to transfer but I just wanted something on the side. Sorry I am kinda confused looking at my degree audit. Also, I notice some classes are supposed to get you ready to take tests for certs and what not. Is it worth it to get the cert? Or is getting an AS in networking or something pointless?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Every piece of paper you have that says you're good at something helps in the long run. Each company will consider different skills to be more important than others, unless you're applying for an incredibly specific job like "Oracle Database Admin", in which case your skills in Oracle database administration will obviously be predicably critical to getting the job.

Science degrees usually take more work than Arts degrees because they require more rigorous training and less interpretation of the course material.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I am trying to figure out how many classes I have to take for AS COMPUTER-ITE NETWORKING TECHNOLOGIES but it wont let me change my major to an AS so I can see what I need to take.

Basicly, I am trying to get an AA + AS. I need both because I can't transfer with just an AS. The additional classes need to have an AA + AS would not be that many correct? Having an AS in computers then having a BA in like business would be a pretty good combo right?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2007
  4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Holy shit it is like twice the credit hours of an AA. I would have to take 12 more classes.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And you'll make twice the money.

6. BinaryMadman

BinaryMadman New Member

I got an AAS in Computer Science from a Technical College and transferred to a University for my Bachelor's. From my understanding back then the only difference between the AAS (less credits) and the AS (more credits) was 2-3 more computer classes and more General Education courses being required. If that's the case with you, try the AS so the General Education courses could transfer to a university later. You have to take those courses at a university anyways, might as well save a bunch of cash by taking them at your community college.

Whatever you do, make sure the credits are even transferable!!! I had 98 credits at my Technical College...only 9 transfered. My ass still hurts from that. :'(

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

AS does not require enough general ed courses. It only requires public speaking, 1 writing, 1 or 2 maths. So for me to transfer I would have to get an AA + AS. Why does it matter if the credits transfer? I know the AS will not transfer, that is why I am getting an AA so I can transfer. Does anyone know how hard these classes are. I know micro arc 1 and 2 will be easier and maybe the first networking but do they get really hard after that.