SRS Asshole roomates screwing up sublease search...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by klizzle, Apr 27, 2010.

1. klizzle

klizzle New Member

So I'm trying to find a sublease for my rented apartment that I foolishly signed the lease for last year in autumn that no longer fits my situation. The situation is that the two other remaining roomates have their heads stuck so far up their asses that I can't stand to live with them.

So my question is: Is there anyway I can get out of the lease?

I've found people interested in MY ROOM, which is significantly larger than other rooms in the house. Then today, my roomates drop this bomb: "We're going to give your room to one of our friends. You have to show her(the new girl) a smaller room. I think that's bull because I'm far less likely to convince someone to pay the amount of rent for that room in the time frame I have. They seem to think because their friends agreed to sign the lease earlier that they get higher priority than my potential subleaser. Could I say they are disrupting my ability to find a sublease and get out that way?

Also, the lease is split in such a way that 3 people are on the "upstairs lease" and 3 people are on the "downstairs lease". I'm on the upstairs lease. They seem to think this means someone shouldn't have any right to a room downstairs when there are 4 rooms upstairs and 2 downstairs. Could this potentially get me out of the lease if I pursued it?

Excuse me if the post makes no sense, I'm extremely furious with them right now. Can't wait to move :fawk:.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Depends on your lease. Different rooms often get different rental prices in a house from what I've seen. This of course, is not usually the case when all friends rent. But if you are paying any more rent than them due to the size of the room (With an en suite for instance), the person subleasing should get your large room or a reduced rent for a smaller room.

3. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Nope, this is a college town where they don't really give a damn about doing a renter a favor (same price for a room twice as big as the mini "closet" room). However, last time someone went through this situation my roomates didn't like a subleaser someone found so they had to take on that lease themselves. I was thinking along this lines, if they seem to be going out of their way to make finding a subleaser difficult shouldn't they have to take on the lease?

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

it's your room, you have the right to it for the whole term.

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

If the lease specifies which room you get, then they can't make that assertion. If it does not, then they can easily make that assertion

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's your room as previously agreed upon, your shit is in it, which is more than enough to convince anyone that it is rightfully yours and you are within your rights to sublet THAT ROOM to anyone you choose.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Yeah unless you leased THAT room I'd say after you move out the other people living there have free reign to switch rooms and move into your old room.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

on the face, this is true.

but then who is going to want to move in to a situation where there's a fight over the room? nobody, so in reality he's fucked for staying in the big room because he can't lease it to someone else, and he's fucked if he moves to another room because it would be harder to lease out the smaller room.

personally, if the only reason you're leaving is because your roommates "have their heads stuck so far up their asses that I can't stand to live with them" then you should probably just suck it up and finish out the lease.

9. klizzle

klizzle New Member

I looked it up and found there is a clause in my state called "failure to mitigate damage", i.e. if I say I'm leaving, the landlord has to advertise for me and put forth a normal effort to replace my tenancy without changing conditions of the original lease(i.e. they can't advertise my lease for a higher rent, etc,so does changing the room = changing conditions???). Could I also pass this on to my roomates and say they are failing to mitigate damage and that i deserve to have my lease terminated, or does the legal system not really care how far your roomates stick their heads up their ass?

I can't finish out this lease, it's for another year because I live in a college town where they don't care about human rights.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Failure to mitigate damage one comes into effect once you've already broken the lease

also: Don't give that bullshit about not caring about human rights. You signed the fucking lease. No one forced you. Just because you've changed your mind doesn't make it your landlord's fault

11. Ann

Ann Sono stupenda!!! Vedi la mia roast beef?

You need to talk to your landlord. First to see if he will even allow a sublease, then explain the situation and see what he says about it.

If sublease is possible under the lease and there is no definition of who gets what room then the roommates can suggest taking your larger room while leaving you to find someone to sublet a smaller room, BUT logically whoever takes over your room should pay the amount of rent you do and the new roommate who sublets should pay the other smaller amount of rent. In the end though, it will be your responsibility to find the person to sublet since it is you that is looking to break the lease and it seems that your roommates haven't displayed any behaviour that could be considered constructive eviction.

12. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Hey its cool. I figured it out. I'm just going to stay UNTIL the lease term begins for the sole purpose of retaining my room, and have a pre-written agreement with the new person to take my responsibilities of the lease. Then I'll sublet it. They can't legally move my shit. I love when the law works in your favor!

:fawk::fawk::fawk: Fuck these trailer trash scumbags :fawk::fawk::fawk:

13. 7960

7960 New Member

wtf?

14. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Eh more of a joke, this town is notorious for having shitty landlords who keep your security deposits regardless of the condition you leave the place in, etc

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

nothing to do with human rights there