Assembly Language(MIPS/SPIM) Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wumpusHunter, Nov 26, 2007.

1. wumpusHunter

wumpusHunter New Member

Hey guys. I'm very new to assembly language programming... Right now, I'm working on a program that needs to find the hamming distance between two binary strings (zeros and ones). I'll work on the logic of deriving the hamming distance, I just need help with two things to get me started:

1. How do I prompt the system to read a binary string at system interrupt? I know that for integer inputs, I would use the following instructions:

addi $v0, $zero, 5 #Read integer input
    syscall #System interrupt

So, what would the instruction be for reading a binary string? Would I just add a different constant into $v0?

2. After reading in the binary strings, how would I get the string length of each? For example, if the user enters 1100101, I need the program to know that a seven bit string was entered.

If any of this isn't making sense, check out the description of the assignment at http://www.cabrillo.edu/~shodges/cs24/cs24-assignments.html.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Let me know if this should be moved to the tutoring forum...

2. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Yes, 8 is the system call for read_string. Additionally, read_string takes the following arguments:

$a0: Address of buffer for resulting string
    $a1: Size of buffer

IIRC, strings from read_string are null-terminated, so you can iterate from ($a0) until you encounter byte 0 (or until you have passed $a1 bytes to prevent a buffer overflow).