Assembly Language.. ftl

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Clifton, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Clifton

Clifton McLAREN FTW

this class blows.. soo boring messing with shit that hasnt changed since the 90's

2. etech

etech New Member

I had a programming course on a PDP8 a long time ago.

16 switches on the front panel. You flicked them up or down to enter your code in binary.

3. Clifton

Clifton McLAREN FTW

eewww

4. RacerJ

RacerJ New Member

assembly coding fucking rocks :bowdown:

5. euphoric

euphoric Who else here has some pants? Moderator

had a class on it last semester, shit sucks

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

hahaha. so many whiney bitches. asm ftw. it was my favorite programming class. nothing like really controlling ALL aspects of a program.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't be stupid. You're learning how compilers work. .NET, Mono, Borland, KDevelop, Eclipse...they all boil down to those same basic commands that you're bitching about having to learn. Except now you know how it all works.

Next step is to take a logic circuit class, so you know how software actually runs on hardware.

8. bovine

bovine New Member

Assembly is much more fun in EE when you actually program it on your own micro-controller and hook up the LEDs, switches and LCD yourself. I could imagine it being pretty boring running on a simulator.

I liked my assembly courses much more than my Java and C++ courses.

9. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

We have been learning logic circuits, AND OR NOT, tri state triger edged flip flops etc, and how the GPU IC works etc, this semester were starting Assembly to, looking forward to it, inserting * into windows OS memory addresses for the crash, lol.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:

11. deusexaethera

Have they taught you how memory circuits work yet? I always thought that one was the most interesting.

12. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Not really, we know they are made up of capacitors which constantly need topping up with voltage, 64bit allows (more or bigger, forgot) memory addresses, and some other stuff.

Little intoxicated right now.

13. deusexaethera

They're not made with capacitors. They're made from transistors like everything else. They don't need constant topping-off (because that implies they discharge themselves, which they don't), though they do require a steady voltage to operate.

I don't remember exactly how they work anymore, but the gist is that you have two NAND gates that each feed one of their two outputs into one of the other gate's two inputs, and one of the two remaining outputs is used to read the state of the circuits, and one of the two remaining inputs is used to change the state of the circuit.

14. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

This is not what my Professor says, the capacitors (like all capacitors) loose charge over time, hence the ones holding the 1's are kept at +5v, the ones 'holding' the 0's are left at 0v.

I shall investigate.

15. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I found this, seems we are both right:-

16. deusexaethera

That's very strange. I took a microprocessor lab class in college and I personally -- with my own two hands and a breadboard -- built memory circuits that had no capacitors whatsoever in them. They were powered by a constant +5V power supply that never disconnected from them, and they had momentary switches that allowed me to set the state of the circuit, after which it maintained its state in a sort of electronic do-loop. When the current was shut off, the circuits lost their states and reset to 0.

17. bovine

bovine New Member

Each cell of DRAM uses one cap and one transistor. You're both right.

Edit: found a diagram on wikipedia.

18. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Learning assembly was awesome, and we didnt use simulators in my school, we used motorola microcontrollers on development boards.

I enjoyed learning anything that gave me a better understanding of how computers work, including digital logic and circuit design

Oh and duesex the circuit you are talking about is called a latch. There are several types, like the D-latch and the clocked RS-latch, I'm sure you can use wikipedia by yourself if you care.

19. deusexaethera

Ah, so that's what a latch is. Any idea whether they could actually be used en-masse to create a memory chip? Because that's what I learned, and if that's not the case, then I need to go tell off my microprocessor lab professor.

20. CodeX

CodeX Guest

As far as I know that is exactly how memory is made, thats what I learned anyway ive never actually done it.

In fact for one of my finals I had to draw the circuit diagram for a 32 byte memory cell including addressing lines using mux's (if I remember)... took more time to draw it than the rest of the test took to answer lol.

21. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I actually kind of enjoyed my asm class. It was certainly interesting.

22. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

asm is great for very limited resources:
    [​IMG]

23. deusexaethera

That, and sometimes you just don't need a fancy 3D hardware-accelerated pixel-shaded GUI with 32-bit translucent colors to get the job done, so there's no sense using a tool designed to create them.