assembly help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by poopies4u, Oct 20, 2003.

1. poopies4u

poopies4u Active Member

I have a test today and I was wondering if you guys could help me understand this a little better. I dont' know how he got this answer

He's gonna give us an instruction and then have data and we need to find the the result

example:
    [​IMG]

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

you have some crazy base notation going on there. i'm guessing that anything starting with a 0 is meant to be hex instead of decimal.

in the first line, he's moving [DEC]25 into AX, and the "result" is [DEC]25 which is [HEX]19 (i.e. 0019)

in the second line, AX=0032, or [HEX]32, which is [DEC]50 (in the result column.)

i'm guessing that the "result" is just what the operation returned? so mov BX, AL will result with whatever AL is. and in the data you say that AL=03, so the result will be 03.

3. poopies4u

poopies4u Active Member

prof. was just giving me examples

4. poopies4u

poopies4u Active Member

[​IMG]

does that look right?

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

looks right to me. 32h = 50. 19h = 25. and the previous value of num1 doesn't affect the result of the function, just like the previous value of BX did not affect the result of "mov BX, AL"

6. poopies4u

poopies4u Active Member

he said he's gonna use add and sub statements too, how would I go about doing that. Would they both have to be hex or can you add hex into dec?

7. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

keep in mind that there is no "numerical" difference between hex and decimal... they are just ways of writing a number.

you can add a hex number and a decimal number together. for example,

10h + 4 = 20
    10h + 4 = 14h

just be sure that they know which base you're using as your notation. people commonly use a 'h' after a hex number (and nothing after a decimal number.)

also, the result of an add or sub is simply the number that results from the operation.

for example:

add AX, BX; AX = 10h, BX = 10h;

the "result" is 20h; AX = 20h, BX = 10h.