GUN Assault vest

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Jan 29, 2004.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm looking for a good vest, this is what I would like:

- Room for at least 6 30 round AK47 magazines
    - Room for at least 6 pistol mags
    - Pistol holster
    - grenade pouches
    - 2-3 other pouches for other gear
    - Rings and belts for attachings other things.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I can use to carry nearly all my supplies with me (in case of a "shit hits the fan" scenario).

What do you reccomend? I'd like to keep it under $150, but if its over, I'll sitll consider it. Belt/leg pouch/etc. reccomendations(sp) are welcome too.

2. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

hes right.

look into thigh pouches to pack the mags in, or a nice backpack, or butt pack, strapping that many clips to ur vest will just act like an anchor.

3. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

Check out the BlackHawk Omega Vest

[​IMG]
    -Adjustable web strap and side release buckle for a silent draw
    -Inside zippered map pockets and (3) utility pouches
    -Each pouch uses elastic to hold mags secure when flap is open
    -BTS Webbing fits any BlackHawk Pouch with A.L.I.C.E. Clips
    -Hook & loop strip for ID patch
    -Fully adjustable shoulders and girth and emergency drag handle
    -Belt loops hold a web belt for a variety of holsters and tactical gear
    -Heavy-duty separating #10 YKK Vislon zipper
    -(3) adjustable mag pouches: (2) MP-5, (2) M-16, (1) .308, (1) 7.62 x 39
    -Wt: 2 lbs 5 oz.

4. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

Here is another design

[​IMG]

I have one of the Omega Vest and love it, I have this one.
    [​IMG]

I can fit 2 30rnd AR15 mags in each pouch.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

that won't do shit for AK mags, since they're not only wider, but taller. they won't fit in there, and you wouldn't be able to close the pouch if it did.

i'd go with a harness, or a molle FLC vest, to which you can attach what you need, where you need it. you can customize and modularly add and remove based on those needs. since i assume you have no body armor (or you probably wouldn't be asking about a vest to wear over a vest), you don't need to worry about a thigh rig for a holster. wear a normal holster, either for a pistol belt or a rigger's belt.

also, is your AK the only go-to gun you have? no AR? or FAL? if so, then that's fine, but an AR is much more effective, and easier to get ammo for. you can't scavenge AK ammo very well in a SHTF scenario. same for .45. it's just not that prevalent in the types of forces you will encounter.

that said, here's a few suggestions:

http://www.lightfighter.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=66194|1273359&PRID=1326450

it seems to address ammo needs by itself, but also has provisions for attaching a pistol belt, to which you could add other pouches, like a buttpack, canteens, more ammo, a sidearm, etc. you need to keep in mind that water is a big thing. as much as ammo. take a look at my "my new crap" thread to see what i'm talking about. no matter what i'm carrying, i have water. also, if you look at my thread, you'll see that all my magpouches are SOE, like this vest. they are the best pouches i've found for retention and access and durability. they are fucking made WELL. when they grommet drain holes in the bottoms of the pouches, they don't tell you that the grommet holes are bigger than the ones you normally find in a tarp, and heavier duty. the whole mag pouch is built with that same concept in mind. which is why i can say with confidence that this vest is built like a rock.

if you went with this vest, i'd go with a USGI pistol belt, a buttpack of your choice, but make sure it's got fastex buckle closures. i'd use tactical tailor large utility pouches for canteens, because they're well made, and will hold a canteen, cup, and stove and have room under that for LOTS more. you could probably fit a good sized nalgene bottle in there instead. if you got the SOE vest, i'd also pick the SOE buttpack, for simplicity. they are designed to work together, with the fastex buckles on the back of the vest to support the buttpack, and alice clip holding it onto the pistol belt.

the problem with most LBVs and tactical vests is that you're using an AK, which severly limits your options, due to magazine size. they're all pretty much oriented toward AR mags or MP5 mags. i would stay away from "tactical" vests, because they are geared for LE, who need not worry about much more than ammo and first aid and communications. they don't often need water, or anything more than the most basic gear. it seems nice to be able to have your pistol on your chest, but if you ever need to go prone, you'll want as little there as possible. AK mags will hurt, but if you add a pistol to the equation, you have more room taken up across your chest instead of down it, and a pistol won't bend around your body the way a vest with rows of mags will. and if you're prone, you won't be able to access it, and it would get in the way of anything you might want to access.

also, for price, if you want shit that won't fall apart, start saving. it took me forever to get the money to get all my gear, but i at least know that it'll last me a lifetime if i take care of it. on that same note, i would avoid blackhawk and strike load bearing gear, because i've heard too many stories of it falling apart since they started making it overseas. they may have gotten their quality control back on line, but they don't make much for you in the way of AK stuff anyways. the names i'd stick to are tactical tailor, special operations equipment, eagle, SO tech, and paraclete. you can find a lot of the same type of gear with them all, and prices may vary. www.lightfighter.com is the place i go to find most of it, because NO ONE sells it cheaper, as far as i've found, unless it's used. midwest tactical sells some of the same gear, and only a little more, so if lightfighter is out of it, check with them. tactical tailor sells their stuff for the same price that lightfighter sells tactical tailor gear, and TT will have it in stock before LF, so order any of that from them.

you might look at modular vests or harnesses if that vest doesn't suit you. but, you'll have to buy a bunch of mag pouches and clips and figure out the location of them all, and you may end up spending more to get what you want. however, this is not a bad thing, because you'll get it where you want it on your body.

http://www.lightfighter.com/category.html?UCIDs=1273362
    that's all the modular vests for adding shit.

as far as pouches, DO NOT rely only on velcro. the newest velcro is heavy duty, but it does wear out, and it can pull loose, and it can fill with dirt and not work. have a backup, like a snap or fastex buckles. i prefer fastex, because they won't ever pull out or unrivet like snaps can, and they're easy to fix if you ever do, instead of having to rivet a new one on. TT makes a good modular AK mag pouch, much like the ones on the SOE vest above http://www.lightfighter.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=66194|1273557&PRID=1169394

SOE may make one too, and LF may carry it, you'd have to call to find out. a lot of times, LF will stock stuff that's not on their site, or has just come out and not made it to the site yet. they are owned and run exclusively by people who have been in the shit, by SF guys, and the likes. if you call, you might get a woman that answers phones, but chances are, she'll know her shit too. if not, she'll put you on with someone who does. LF deals with a LOT of people, mostly military and law enforcement. i think they ship to military and department with priority. regardless, a lot of times, they are backordered on a lot of stuff, and it may take a couple months to get the stuff (people want it faster than it can be made. even TT is backordered on my drop leg panel and mag pouches, and they make the shit. they just can't turn it out fast enough.

so, in summary, surf the lightfighter site, look at what i've posted links to, and see what looks like it'll work. i can help you out, and so can others here, to work out kinks. i don't know it all, and i've never used an AK rig, but i'll do my best. and for pete's sake, don't skimp on SHTF gear.

6. footratfunkface

oh, and if you look around in the forums (you'll have to become a member, just like looking at the threads here, you can't view them unless you are) you'll see that most of the guys there are either military or LE, with a number of airsofters mixed in. the airsofters are regarded with a sort of silliness by the others, as if they're just playing pretend. you would face much worse ridicule if you were to start posting about SHTF. i know, because i tried. i only have 11 posts on the entire board, but i now know how to get the info i need without drawing too much attention to the fact that i'm not LE or Military. the 2nd line gear is the section of the forums to look at for other people's questions and suggestions on the type of gear you're looking for, but none of them will concern AK gear.

also, you would do well to look for a camelbak, like a MULE or HAWG, or even one of the smaller 100 oz. backpack-style bladder carriers. you can get the military ones in OD sometimes, and more often in woodland cammo, and black, and 3 color desert. i just bought a MULE new on ebay for under $50, whereas new from any other place would be at least $98. but having alternate hydration to your canteens is never bad. you use up a lot of water in the field. in case you were thinking about ditching canteens and going for only a camelbak, don't. you need something you can pour out of, and something you can put over a fire with the stove and cup. always have at least one canteen.

7. Poonony

Poonony New Member

Whats with alot of this stuff "unavailible"? I tried the links and can only get one to work. . .

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

9. footratfunkface

oh, by the way, any tactical tailor stuff, buy straight from them, as i said before.

as for non-working links, i just tried them, and they all work for me.

10. footratfunkface

if you got a pouch to carry your camelbak bladder in, it would go on the back of a modular vest, which would cost more in the first place. it would also cost a bit for the pouch, but TT and many others make them, so you can look for a good one for less.

the biggest problem is that you CANNOT wear a pack comfortably with a bladder underneath it. the pack will not sit straight. you can go to lightfighter and ask every person on there if you'd like to confirm this. a molle-attached bladder is not considered a removeable piece of gear, so there's no taking it off and putting it on or in your pack. thus, my suggestion that you find a bladder carrier like a mule, or a hawg, or even one of the small ones. just something with straps. you can either wear it over your vest or harness, or attach it with carabiners to your pack. the bladder carriers will also have fastex buckles all over, so you may find a way to just fastex it on there, but i've yet to find a way to do that well without having to readjust straps on the camelbak to do so.

11. footratfunkface

you also put in your original post that you wanted grenade pouches. for what? do you want baseball grenade pouches? if so, you'll never come in contact with grenades that fit them, even in a SHTF scenario, and so the pouches just take up space. smoke and CS are more common, and still, you'll probably never see any, unless they're already popped. if you have smoke (which is legal), that's one thing. but i doubt you have more than one, if you do have even that. so, i would say get a "distraction device" pouch, one that looks like its built well and can be secured well, and covers the whole grenade. the last thing you want is to go prone and catch the pin on a stick so that when you get up, you've got a smoker waiting to poof.

otherwise, forget grenade pouches. also, like i said earlier, forget about more than one, maximum two, pistol mags. it is not, nor should it be, your primary or go-to weapon. if you have the space for 6 mags for your pistol, you have the space for at least 2 AK mag pouches. pistol mags belong either in the pistol, or in your ruck.

12. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

footfunkface...those post were simply amazing...

and on the H-harness, i used to use one when i played paint ball, very comfortable and useable.

im gonna see if i can dig it outta the attic

13. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Damn footratfunkface. Now that is some useful information. Thanks.

14. footratfunkface

i do what i can to help people out. i'm not trying to tell anyone to NOT do something, but i'm going to tell them what the problems with it are going to be. the SHTF situation is one that, if it were to happen, you do not want problems, because to be in a situation like that, there are already problems that will take up most of your time and energy to deal with. the least of your worries should be gear hardships or failures.

that said, people do things differently for all sorts of reasons. if they didn't, there wouldn't be so many variations in gear. if you find something that works, awesome. i just try to help people avoid stuff that might not or probably won't work. this ("tactical" gear), like terminal ballistics, is an area that i am not an expert in, but i consider it a passion and i like to discuss it.

so, if anyone has any questions or cool stuff to share, post them on up. i WILL get a digital camera or something to get pics of my gear once it all shows up. i'll also post pics of my firearms.

15. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

After reading this thread I started developing an interest in the subject. I ran over to lightfighter, like suggested, and there seems to be more people that prefer a chest rig than a vest. The Blackhawk STRIKE chest rig seems to be a really good choice and highly recommended. Since I have never really looked into this before, I have to ask a dumb question. I didn't see this in any description and couldn't tell by pics, but how the hell do the pouches attach. I guess I don't really understand how the MOLLE system works. Could someone explain?

16. footratfunkface

okay, as far as chest rigs go, they're good for some things, but have drawbacks for others. number one, the word chest is not taken too literally. they can be worn as high as the chest, or as low as the upper belly. they can have all sorts of pockets, and many are modular, as are vests. depending on where you wear a chest rig, it may get in the way going prone. vests are hotter than chest rigs. chest rigs are readily accessible, and keep along one line around your body. but, they have limited space. you will never get as much in a chest rig as you can with a vest. an h-harness is going to have some of the same issues as a chest rig. in fact, you could almost think of a chest rig as a different sort of harness, only higher up. and often with fixed pockets, though there are a few modular ones, like SOTech and SOE.

http://www.lightfighter.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=66194|1273361&PRID=1326452
    that's the SOE AK chest harness. notice that it has only space for mags and small stuff. no space for water, and no way to hang a pistol belt so you can have water.

oftentimes, chest rigs are used for assaults or short-term stuff, or in addition to a harness or vest. many of them have no way to keep hydration systems or canteens. for a SHTF situation, i would not make a chest rig my main harness sytem. it just lacks too much. for a LE or special forces role, where they may travel light, and need primarily ammo, a chest rig may be the best option.

i still assert that i have heard that blackhawk's quality has suffered since they moved overseas with their manufacturing. this may be under control by now, but i haven't dealt with any of their stuff to find out. i'll let a bunch of other people try it out and tell me. blackhawk seems to me to be to the industry what eagle arms is to the AR world. they'll work, and they'll cost less most of the time, but do you want to place your trust in something questionable when the consequences of failure are so steep? if it were for airsoft or something, i'd say pick blackhawk and save the money. but not for this.

as far as the modular systems like molle, i'll do my best to explain their workings. i've actually never seen a molle clip, so i can't describe how it works. alice clips are a simple concept, and malice clips are quite different, so i'll explain them both.

but, i'm going to draw pictures, so i'll post this, then draw and upload pictures, then post again.

17. footratfunkface

[​IMG]

in number one, where the arrow with the crazy tail is pointing, that end of the clip goes into the PALS/MOLLE webbing loop, if you're using that, or around the belt, as in the drawing. the belt is broken to show the alice clip. then, the part of the clip with the directional arrows at each end slides down and the end of it goes into that little dark hole, thereby keeping the item clipped in place. now, alice clips aren't all that secure, no matter what my drawing makes them appear to be. so, other systems are out there. the MOLLE system is one, but like i said, i don't know how their clips work, but i know they're a bitch. they're secure.

MALICE (modular alice) clips are easy to use, and keep your gear as secured to your other gear as your scrotum keeps your balls secured to your other gear. i some pictures i found that show the process of using malice clips. it's more complicated than my drawing skills allow on paint (i'm a lefty, using a mouse righty).
    it's a weaving kind of attachment, but it keeps the shit there, and it can be undone if need be, though not in a hurry like alice clips. if you want it off quick, either fastex it, or alice it. buttpacks are the only pocket in this kind of gear that you should want off quick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the last pic shows how you undo the clip. the tab that locks it has to be pushed up from the back with something thin like a knife or a screwdriver, then the clip can be pulled out of itself.