ass to grass squatting and lower leg/shin pain?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KingGargantuan, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i thought i read somewhere that, when squatting ass to grass, you should have a slightly elevated heel?

i notice when i use flat bottomed shoes, flip flops, barefeet, socks, etc, if i squat like that too often then i get pain in my shin area.

any ideas?

2. CPop

CPop New Member

Sit back more, you're loading your shins something fierce. I don't know about the elevated heel, I don't use anything like that.

3. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Elevated heel artificially increases flexibility. To see the difference get yourself something about an inch high you can stand on. First try doing a body weight squat barefoot, then with your toes on it and then with your heels on it. Notice how much farther down you can go with your heels on it.

4. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

it is nearly impossible to diagnose a squat problem without seeing the problematic squat. We can throw little catch alls at you until maybe it is fixed, but without seeing you squat it is never going to happen.

5. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

true, i'll make a vid tomorrow

6. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

7. Perkwunos

I would squat closer stance, more toe point, knees out, sit back more, maybe.

8. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

They really don't look too bad to me.

Like fatdude said, knees out more, ass back more, slow 'em down for a while.

9. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

10. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i think i'm going to try the stronglift 5x5 idea. start with the bar and slowly add 5lb per workout. that might help me get my form in check.

11. Perkwunos

I should get some video of myself squatting, not that my form is perfect, but it works for me.

12. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

13. grampositivecocci

I don't think you need to start out that light.

14. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i thought the same but this also makes sense from their website:

Why start with an empty bar?
    4 reasons:

Increased Motivation. Most people don't miss 1 workout the first 3 months StrongLifts 5x5. Weights feel easy in the first weeks and you're adding weight each workout. Adding weight gets addictive: you'll look forward to going to the gym and increasing the weight each workout. You'll also see your body change as the weight on the bar increases.

Decreased Soreness. Too much soreness from the 1st week would prevent you physically & mentally from going back to the gym 2 days later. You'll get sore legs your 1st time doing Squats with the empty bar, but less than if you started heavier.

Minimal Need for Equipment. You can do StrongLifts 5x5 with 1 barbell and weights if you want: Steinborn Lift for Squats and Floor Press instead of Bench Press. Not the safest way, but many people start this way, like it & decide to invest in home gym equipment.

Better Technique. It's easier to practice technique with light weights. Correct technique prevents injuries and allows for more weight in the long term since your body moves more efficiently. Starting light forces you to focus on technique rather than lifting heavy without learning how to lift correctly.

Do I have to start with an empty bar? I think I can handle more.
    The point of starting with an empty bar is to learn correct technique. You're adding 5lbs/2.5kg each workout, that's 66lbs/30kg per month on Squats. Meaning you'll hit a 100kg Squat for 5x5 within 3 months if you don't miss any workouts and don't stall. No need to start heavier, the weight increases fast already. There's only 1 reason to start with more weight: greed. Forget about the ego. Strength training is a marathon not a sprint.

15. grampositivecocci

btw that stronglifts program is a piece of shit bastardised version of starting strength.

16. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea it seems alot like starting strength.

if it works, great. if not, i'll find something else or go back to SS.

i'm not sure how the "same weight for all exercises" will work, especially for overhead presses, but we'll see how it goes. the idea of not having to increase the weight with every set also appeals to me. less hassle. my rubber-coated weights leave black shit all over the place when i mess with them and the inside of them are rusty, along with the olympic bar, so pulling them off and on is a pain in the ass too. :rofl:

add that to wife and kids interrupting me and looking for whatever = i need to get my workouts done as quickly as possible.

i noticed before, while doing starting strength, that my bench and my ass-to-grass squat numbers were almost exactly the same.

maybe that would change when i get my squat form fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.