MMA Ass kicked by wrestler v. vent

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by xinster, Oct 9, 2006.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

I walk at 155. this guy wrestles at 103. In the course of 30 minutes of grappling, with absolutely 0 BJJ/sub experience, this guy is able to score what must have amounted to triple digits in points on me, and i was only able to triangle choke him once. Now, ive only done BJJ for like 2 months, but my wrestler friend was completely destroying me! He's been wrestling for years and is the best in our school, but still 0 BJJ experience.

I spent most of the time with him on my back. I later realized that if i had gotten sidemount once, it would hbave been like outwrestling him, so it was no wonder that as well as americanas was out of the question. He gassed me out twice, and forget about kimuras i could barely hold guard. I couldnt hold his back long enough to attempt chokes, and he slipped out of two armbars. I triangled him ONCE.

he suplexed me multiple times, and in general just dominated me. DAMMMATTT

2. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

i love it when martial arts students sleep on wrestlers. I remember way back in the day my buddies were like that and man i was funny.

My little bro wrestles 112/119 and he has tooled plenty of my buddies that are quite heavier.

3. xinster

xinster New Member

nah, i wasn't sleeping on wrestlers- i werstled a season way back in 8th grade. But i did severely underestimate him though.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

dude. him = multiple years of wrestling at the top level available to him
    you = 2 months of BJJ

bjj may be teh ultimate badass generator (slight sarcasm) but after 2 months of ANYTHING you won't be tooling anyone who's lived in his comfort zone (the ground game in this case) for so much longer than you.

give it time man, give it time

5. xinster

xinster New Member

yeah i also noticed he was leaps ahead of me in core strength/neck strength despite the weight advantage. its not like im fat, ive got a 4 pack.

6. teep

teep New Member

Don't worry, us wrestlers get plenty frustrated when we start getting tapped out left and right from someone with solid bjj. Few things frustrate me more than grappling with someone that can just roll out of anything no matter how how high or intense of a pace I keep. Theres this one kid I always roll with and no matter how many times I take his back or get mount he always slips out of it before I even know what happened.

7. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

who the hell weighs 103?! Are you in middle school?

8. xinster

xinster New Member

high school senior. He's quite a small guy. he walks at like 130, since its not wrestling season although he wrestles all year round

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

how hard did you train for your 2 months? If this guy wrestled for years... lets say 2 seasons (6 months total, 5 days a week, 2-3 hours each day), that would result in a LOT of mat time. Going through this, he probably also developed excellent cardio, great scrambling, great mat awareness, and great overall mentality. To match that kind of mat time, you would be behind even if you trained 5 days a week for your 2 months. To not lose to people like him, you have to take your training as serious as he did and train with as much/even more frequency.

10. xinster

xinster New Member

well yeah, as i said it was quite obvious he was destroying me :p heh, just gotta keep it up

11. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

two months is very very little

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah after a few months I thought I was the shit cuz I knew an armbar and a triangle and I grappled with a friend of mine who said he never did any grappling before, then he totally pwned me and told me that he really loves to grapple and tho he'd never studied any he's always been a natural :rofl:

seriously this should just give you more drive to get better and stomp on him later.

13. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i've rolled with some wrestlers before after only few months of training but they never really gave me trouble, maybe they just weren't as experienced as your friend or because i usually had 60-80lbs of advantage on them and they were mostly on their backs :dunno:

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

been training four years, and sometimes wrestlers with a little submission defense can give me a hell of a time. theyre still grappling, just because its not bjj doesnt mean they dont understand a lot of the same principles

15. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

There are two wrestlers at my BJJ school that can put a clinic on me. Fuck it, just go with it

16. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

aren't some of the top guys from UFC (Randy, Matt etc...) from a wrestling back ground? I mean granted they don't have the more extensive training to finish a move on the ground but it is a hell of a base to build off of.

17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

well as a past wrestler and very little jiu jitsu (about a month now) i've noticed that I can beat most of the Jiu jitsu folks in the school (most are pretty new) but the guys who have been doing it for years are making me look pretty stupid, i can take em down at will but any time i end up on my back i'm just totally screwed. I think a strong wrestling background does alot for a guy but i also think most wrestlers are like me, when we're on our back we don't know what the hell to do lol. Jiu Jitsu is pretty awesome but for a novice jiu jitsu vs solid wrestling isn't a very good comparison.

18. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

wrestlers do shit that you shouldnt do long run for neck strength. I wouldnt bridge on my neck for instance when escaping.

19. TCSFunk

TCSFunk OT Supporter

But some Jiu Jitsu escapes involing bridging with the neck? :noes: