A&P Aspiring photographer stuck in a non-aspiring city

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, Sep 3, 2008.

1. So going through various options of what I could do for a living, photographer came across my mind -- but the city I live in, really has nothing going for it... initially I wanted to do interior photography but that hasn't really gotten me anywhere...

There's not a big club scene here, if I wanted to do Turbodude style photos. There are a ton of wedding and portrait photographers, so it kind of limits what you can do...

I'm just a guy with a camera... :sadwavey:

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You could move to a larger city with more possibilities and more photographers all fighting for the same piece of the pie or you could really try and carve out your own slice right where you are.

You say that interior photography is what you want to do but how hard have you tried to market yourself in this area? Are you skills / equipment up the challenge? It can take years to become "established" in an area. Don't be so quick to give up.

Being a large fish in a small pond is better than being a small fish in a large pond. You won't get eaten as quickly.

3. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

The majority of photographers I've met travel far and wide (some of the kids I go to RIT with are from seattle and california) for photography. One of my photography professor does landscape work in Nova Scotia. Don't be afraid to pack up and leave. I lived in a small town in Michigan 2 weeks ago, now I live in Rochester, NY.

4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

so there is a market for this. Now deal with competition and become better. If tehre are a ton, then there is shitboat of money being spent on shitty pictars. Take really good pictars at a fair price and keep yourself busy

5. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

:wavey:

Good luck at the brick city.

<-- RIT Alum

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

hi budday:wavey:

when did you graduate? what was your major?

7. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

I graduated at the end of 2004. I majored in network & systems administration. I hear the campus has expanded quite a bit since then and they're actually about finished with college town. They had been talking about that before I even started there.

Since you're from Michigan you probably won't have a huge problem with the weather. The school is great, but as long as you can stand the weather and can entertain yourself in the off hours, you'll do fine. You'll find out rather quickly that most of the students are rather introverted.

Also, when you turn 21 visit beers of the world. I still dream of that place. It has by far the best beer selection of any place I've ever been.

8. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Yeah they have alot of really new buildings that are really cool. For example the campus book store is a Barnes and Noble. Not too shabby if you ask me. I lived in kalamazoo which is 30 minutes east of lake michigan, so i got lake effect snow like a MOTHER out there, I should fit right in up here. I have a job too so I'm meeting people in class and at work, so far going so well.

Oh and beers of the world is exactly 4.6 miles from my house so in feb. when I turn 21 i'll be sure to visit that place. what's your favorite beer to get from there? I'm excited!

9. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

What about the adult industry? :mamoru:

10. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

Celebrator is good. They sell singles so I'd always go in and load up on random stuff that I hadn't had before. The german and belgian sections are amazing.

11. I'm still trying to find my niche... I like to take photos, but I don't know what I'm good at just yet... I would like to be good at many things, but there's nothing that pays more here other than wedding & portraits

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

a 5d should fix your problems.

13. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

aspiration has nothing to do with your physical location.

14. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually the camera or the photographer...

15. Fubar

Fubar OT Supporter

Sounds like your imagination is lacking, not your location.

16. wisie

wisie New Member

Don't worry if there's lots of wedding togs in your area, I'll bet there's a lot of average ones too. If weddings isn't your thing then how about events like corporate etc? A friend does this and seems to do alright wandering around corporate dinners taking simple photos.

Just don't force photography as a job if you don't feel like you're ready. Nothing shits me more then people who are in it for the money and are terrible.

17. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Do you guys mean Rochester Institute of Technology? How many people from OTAP are from Rochester? I've lived here all my life. We should do an OT meet up!

18. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

The one and only. Although I live in San Francisco now.

19. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Non-aspiring locations leaves more room to creativity.

20. hurleyint1386

Wow, I knew RIT had a big photography department, but didn't know that it was that well known.

21. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Pretty much RIT and Brooks are the best schools in the country for photography, so you better believe RIT is well known. Last I heard though, Brooks is under investigation for fraud.

22. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

Be thankful that there isn't as much stiff competition. I'm in a suburb just outside of Chicago and everyone and their mother has a camera and runs their own business.

I just do this as a personal hobby, but making money on the side is rough when you have to market yourself to stand out from the rest. Go around your town and see what you can do and what you can offer compared to the competition.

23. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Photography is seriously a shitty business to try to make a living off of. I highly suggest you find a serious job to pay the bills and pick up photography as a hobby. The easiest field to "make" it in though would have to be wedding photography IMO. However, its much more about marketing yourself than it is about actual skill.

24. hurleyint1386

I'm taking a photography course at the local community college (MCC) and the professor is an RIT professor. His last name is Ziolkowski. So I guess I can think of it as getting RIT education and an MCC cost :bigthumb:

25. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I went to RIT but not for photography...I took one photography class and it was crazy, i needed structure and they were giving me none. :noes: Now I live in the Park Ave area. I am down for an OTAP meet. :bigthumb: