Aspartame + Supplements = DIE.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Swift, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Serious discussion, please don't reply with shit like "we don't live forever anyway", or "we all die someday". I see tons of supplements with aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, but I've read some articles, web sites, and watched a few videos on how it kills people slowly.

Below is a good read which has tons of information on how it kills:
    http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

Anyway, do you take supplements knowing that it's using artificial sweetener in it? I've taken about 5 tubs of protein in total with aspartame (without knowing), once I read information about the toxicity of aspartame I only take protein that is mainly unsweetened.

I hope that some of this information is helpful. Keep fit, and stay healthy. :wiggle:

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

we all die some day

3. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

:bowdown:

4. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Are you seriously fucking using "holisticmed.com" as a source?

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

5. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

i use to consume quite a bit of aspartame during the begining of my diet. use to also get horrible headaches and my throat would tighten on me at night. i thought this was because of the ec stack i was own, so i cut the ec. still had the same problems. ended up being the 2 liter of diet coke i was drinking everyday. cut the coke out and i was good to go. i still consume aspartame but maybe twice a week in small amounts. usually comes from protein shakes or the rare diet coke.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:rofl::rofl: your replies are fucking hilarious sometimes.. :rofl:

7. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

8. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

yeah i heard a lot of stuff about aspartme... and how they fed tons of it to mice and they got cancer or something. :dunno:
    not sure how valid that is. but i do remember asking my doctor a long time ago about drinking diet coke (i was a big diet coke drinker but im cutting down), and she was like "ur okay if u drink 1 can of diet coke a day, just dont overdo it, as u shouldnt overdo anything."

basically the key is moderation, anything that is too much is bad for you.
    even water. (remember that lady a while back on that radio station who died from a water drinking contest... and apparently drowned in her own body?).

aspartme is in A LOT of things, even stuff u don't even think about.
    just be careful i guess if u wana be on the safe side =\
    and be moderate in everything.

9. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I end up in an argument every chance one of my girlfriends' friends has the chance about this kind of shit. You eat too much protein Sean. Your kidneys are going to fail and you're going to die Sean. :mb:

Or I might get hit by a fucking bus on the way home. 200g of protein a day is 100% not going to hurt or kill me, especially with how much water I take in.

The point of this story was even if you are in school studying nutrition, and have solid facts to back up your argument, if you're a dirty hippy who doesn't bathe or shave your armpits as a female, and is mildly overweight and probably couldn't run a mile without coughing up your lungs, nobody takes you seriously about anything health related.

11. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

They were also feeding those rats like their own bodyweight in the stuff. Apparently everything now casues cancer, especially if you make it a point to eat your body weight of it every day.

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

of all the bad things in the air, water and food, aspartame is relatively low on things I try to avoid.

13. Rocky Balboner

Rocky Balboner New Member

we don't live forever anyway

14. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

There's no negative long-term effects of artificial sweetners documented in any peer-reviewed research. If you can find any (holisticmed does not count as a credible source), please post it here.

15. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

16. Bar

Bar New Member

INTRODUCTION: Artificial sweeteners are nowadays inevitable food additives, since they provide necessary food diversity to people suffering from diabetes. Aspartame is the most frequently used artificial sweetener ever and its safety profile is much better than that of saccharin or cyclamate. It received marketing approval in 1973, but only 3 months later aspartame was withdrawn because of allegations based on improperly designed experimental studies dealing with its carcinogen effects on rodent brain. However, extensive studies using the same model did not confirm such suspicions, and aspartame received a second marketing approval. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDIES: Almost two decades later an epidemiological study found a relationship between aspartame and an increased frequency of brain tumors in humans. However, this study included a short time span of observation, and it did not estimate actual intake of aspartame, which led to loss of validity. Later on no epidemiological studies found correlation between aspartame use and incidence of brain tumors in humans. Up to now the only safety concern about aspartame, which received valid scientific proofs, is pro-seizure action of its excessive intake. In patients with epilepsy, excessive intake of aspartame can decrease the threshold for seizures or prolong them once they appear. However, if the intake is not above the recommended level of 40 mg/kg b.w./day, aspartame is well tolerated even in this subpopulation. CONCLUSION: Based on detailed analysis of published studies on safety of aspartame, it should not be restricted, but used in recommended amounts.

40mg/kg means over 3g per day will be tolerated even by a person who has epilepsy. Now one liter of diet cola has only 560mg! That means you could have about 5 liters of diet soda and tolerate it well even if you were an epileptic patient! And healthy humans can tolerate more

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=399431

/thread

17. cls

Okay, so if you have epilepsy, take it easy on the diet coke :p

18. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

This is the realistic approach I take to the subject. If I live til I'm 65 but look fuckin good doing it, then I'm just fine with that. I don't have/want a wife or kids, so I'll request to have my millions in cash burned at my funeral.

19. cls

Aren't you concerned that, aside from not living along, you may reduce the quality of life for the few years you are alive if you don't pay attention to your health? Obviously not specifically for aspartame, but any risky behavior (drugs, smoking, binge drinking, etc.)?

20. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

YOU READ THAT TOO?!? :eek4:

21. Drewski

Drewski New Member

as opposed to leaving a very long healthy (and IMO boring) life, only to have some disease leave you a drooling, shitting vegetable?

in the end, life is a crap shoot, and at the end, I'd rather regret the things I did, not the things I didn't do.

22. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

No, I'm 25 and fuck whoever I want

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners but it is pretty hard to do. The way I figure it; I don't drink diet sodas, I rarely drink any drink with artificial sweeteners, I don't eat much junk food (which usually contains A/S'ers).... So if the majority of my AS'ers are coming in from a protein supplement then that is fine with me for the time being.

I take ~ 2.5 scoops a day of protein and when my diet is in check I probably still consume only 20% of the A/S'ers of the general public.

However, the crazy high amount of A/S'ers in NO supplements might be one of the reasons why those types of supplements don't sit well with me.

24. cls

As Chris Rock says, life is long, especially if you make the wrong decisions. You screw up enough early on and you'll be a drooling vegetable at age 25, not 85. Trust me, I know someone like this.

25. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I'm 28 so I guess I'm safe :mamoru:

and since we're talking comments, I prefer Denis Leary's take

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.