GUN ASP Tac-Lite: $50 w/shipping

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, Jan 20, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

http://www.botachtactical.com/asptaclite.html

I'm sorely tempted to get one of these -- I swear, everything's on sale right now -- but I just bought a bunch of LED lights and the last thing I need is something that will instantly make them all useless.

2. deusexaethera

Xenon lamp
    7000 candlepower (unfortunately, I only know what lumens mean, but this sounds pretty damn bright)
    2x CR123A batteries
    Tailcap switch
    Anodized aluminum body, vinyl foam grip
    1hr runtime
    Optional extentable baton attachment (if you're kinky like that)
    Steel lens bezel, to improve drop-proofness

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Is Botach a reputable vendor?

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The stories on them are pretty mixed...

5. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Unfortunately, candlepower and lumens cannot be directly compared.

No, but the one time I did order from them, I received what I wanted in the time they said it would take. Just don't order backordered items.

6. deusexaethera

I bought a few things from them, never had an issue.

Actually, lumens and candlepower can be directly compared. I just found the formula: 1 lm = 1 cd·sr = 1 lx·m2

Hmm...candlepower is the brightness of the light source from any single point of view -- it's not a measurement of the total amount of light emitted, just its brightness at any spot on a sphere surrounding the light source. So the candlepower of a light source is the derivative of the total amount of light emitted.

A light source emitting light at a rate of 1 candlepower in all directions = A light source emitting light at a rate of 4pi lumens. If you block off part of the light source with a nonreflective surface, the number of lumens drops because the light in some directions is getting absorbed. But with a flashlight that has a reflector, most of the blocked light gets redirected instead of absorbed, so the lumens should still roughly equal the candlepower * 4pi.

If that's correct, then that means the ASP Tac-Lite has a brightness of 87964 lumens within the cone of illumination. Hmm...that's really fucking bright, if I did the math correctly.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Xeon ftl

8. LancerV

9. deusexaethera

Xenon is a halogen gas, and halogen bulbs are used pretty much everywhere because they're the best tungsten bulbs on Earth. They're just not good at getting flicked on/off repeatedly, because they have to get hot before the halogen effect repairs the tungsten filament.

10. LancerV

no..... its usually argon, neon, or nitrogen in most tungsten bulbs

And were not talking about flashlights either, in flashlights xenon is the loose.

11. LancerV

Lumen means nothing also my SuperTac 130lumen can throw 500yds+ my TL3 230lumen (11k candlepower) can throw a good spot out to around 90yds

12. deusexaethera

Argon is used in regular lightbulbs, but it doesn't repair the filament. Neon bulbs don't even use solid filaments; they're just arc-lamps. I've never heard of Nitrogen being used in anything, but I suppose it might be similar to Neon.

Halogen gases can repair metal filaments as they wear out, which is why you can run so much more current through them compared to normal tungsten bulbs. Every non-HID car headlight on Earth uses halogen bulbs for exactly that reason.

But yes, halogen is not so great for flashlights unless you run them for several minutes at a time. Until the halogen gas heats up enough, it can't repair the tungsten filament, and the filament wears out even faster because of the high current flow. That's why halogen flashlight bulbs are tiny, so they can heat up as fast as possible.

13. LancerV

This isnt why halogen sucks for a tac light

14. LancerV

And if you want a xexon light you better get one from a decent company (streamlight, sure fire etc...) Other wise youll fine your bulb is shattered into a million pieces

15. deusexaethera

Technically, my old 5-lumen Arc AAA can throw a beam 500 yards -- or 5000 yards -- it's just not bright enough to be useful to me. Some animals could use that little light, though, and it's certainly bright enough to give away my position in the dark.

Beam "length" is useless as a measurement because it's so subjective; not everyone can see the same at night. What you think is visible at 500 yards might be invisible to me, or vice-versa. That's why all the official measurements use the brightness of the light source itself. A good sign that you're getting ripped off is when the product description tells you what you'll see, instead of what a machine can measure.

16. deusexaethera

Then why does it suck, kemosabe?

Ignoring the spelling errors, this doesn't make any sense. Any bulb will break if you hit it hard enough; what exactly are you saying will cause the bulb to break? It's not like these companies manufacture the bulbs, so the brand name has nothing to do with their durability.

17. LancerV

Im not talking about smashing it, im talking about just dropping your flashlight can cause alot of knock off xenon bulbs to shatter. I know I had one and last about one day in the field.

18. LancerV

Only shock proof to a certain point, have to carry spare bulbs, gets hot, requires more voltage (bigger), less durable, not instant on, cant withstand high heat (say mounted next to a barrel of a gun), I can keep going

19. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

:rofl: :squint:

20. LancerV

Your math blows :rofl:

And you must not know anything about flashlight if you think CP < Lumens

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  21. deusexaethera

Fair points.

22. deusexaethera

Yes, that would be why I put in the disclaimer that I wasn't sure if I did it right.

Anyway, candlepower is the measurement of the brightness of a light source from any single point of view, whereas lumens is the measurement of the total amount of light being emitted. That makes lumens the more useful measurement for a flashlight, since flashlights don't radiate a uniform brightness in all directions, making candlepower useless in that context -- what good is it to know the brightness of a flashlight bulb from any point of view when it's out of its housing and operating in "candle mode", when that's not how it will actually be used 99% of the time? (Candlepower would still be useful for area lighting, because it's unreflected and unfocused, but that's not what flashlights do.)

Anyway, I was just trying to take the candlepower rating of that Tac-Lite bulb and calculate the number of lumens being emitted, but it didn't occur to me at first that I need to know if the candlepower rating of that bulb was measured inside or outside of its reflector housing. Obviously, the reflector will increase the candlepower rating within the cone of illumination, which means for marketing reasons they definitely measured it that way. Or they just made the number up, one or the other.