Asp.net

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Feb 4, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I got a consulting job today but the company insists on using .NET with the Microsoft theory on web services. ASP.NET is going to be my bitch soon. :o I guess I'll just end up using J# for the backend code, I'd rather not spend time learning both ASP.NET and C#, since I already know Java and J# is about exactly the same. :dunno:

By the way, I also got a quick Java consulting job to do. Good old JSPs, Servlets, and MySQL. :refreshed:

2. Diablow

Diablow Guest

Good for you :bigthumb:

However, I would recommend that you pick up C# when you can. ASP.NET is not all the different

3. CompiledMonkey

Yeah, I want to right now actually, but with the time restriction I really can't. I don't think it would be fair to the client for me to build something using C# for the first time. I'm just hoping J# will do everything I'm looking for and that J# support is in the original verion of the framework. I need to do some research on that.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

dude, asp.net is just the name for the new technologies. You can code the pages in C#

5. CompiledMonkey

Don't you mean I can use C#/J# on the code behind pages? I'll still need to know some asp.net stuff for the user controls and such, right? As you can see, I really haven't started any research yet. :)

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

ASP.NET is not a language. For the code behind pages you can use either VB.NET or C#

i don't know if that answers your question or not :o

7. CompiledMonkey

Yeah, I understand that part. That's about all right now though. :o It turns out I may not need to use .NET for this project afterall. I went into one of our labs in ISY (the IS dept) to download and research the application software they are using. Turns out is isn't for Windows, rather Linux (stupid business woman...). So this tells me they are not using .NET, but J2EE. I read more on the software's site and it seems many of the items she told us about on Tuesday were incorrect.

8. Diablow

Diablow Guest

hence the need for Program Managers or Systems Analysts :fawk:

9. CompiledMonkey

EXACTLY! I love PMs that have a clue. Unfortunately, the client is a very small shop with no one technically oriented at all. They had this system built around a proprietary application server. So getting any details from someone not technical is like pulling teeth. :o

10. Diablow

Diablow Guest

Hearing a developer doing PM and testing work is like nails scratching a board for me
    I just don't think developers can ever be PMs or testers :o

11. CompiledMonkey

I'm pretty impressed by web development in .NET so far. I've been doing some research this morning and so far I've got a 3 page setup. You login from the first page and have a session created if you login correctly. The second page checks session and if it isn't valid, you get kicked back to the index.aspx page. There is only a link on the second page which takes you to the getXML.aspx page (session is also checked here). When the page loads, it parses out an xml file I wrote and displays the artist name from the xml. I've spent about 45 mins so far and I've gotten a lot done for a first go around. I really like the code behind pages and such. :cool:

12. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Oh yeah, just learn C#, it's really similar to Java anyway. Don't bother with J#.

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

shit i need to learn xml

14. Diablow

Diablow Guest

I guess Web Services will blow you away
    Shit, the lead dev on my team at work creating an authetication intranet wide web service, I am blown away :eek:
    Half the stuff was way over my head!

15. CompiledMonkey

Web services is cool (I've done a few), I just don't like how they do everything for you. You don't need to understand anything that is going on in the background to create and use a web service.