ASP.NET and Caching

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gonrad, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Gonrad

Gonrad OT Supporter

I have a website that needs to be cached somewhat permanently.

I don't want to do server (SQL) side caching but rather client side (ASP.NET)

I need to read large amounts of data from a database and rather then making individual calls/queries, I want to cache it all in one instance.

So with my ASP.NET app, I looked into the Cache() object as well as into global variables.

The global variables has had some success but at times I notice the app has restarted (When my app is cached, the memory size of aspwnet_wp.exe in Task Manager is usually large).

Basically my site contains some 100,000 products and I need to cache it to provide quick searching and retrieval.

Any idea?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:ugh: why would you cash so many products? I would rather provide drill down criteria (via groups, categories, search, etc) than cash it all in one page. Even if it is cached, you're talking about poor performance on the client side of things as well. Lets just say the page, with all the data, is at least a MB in size... the client would have to GET and POST 1mb of data each time the page is refreshed, even if you're not going back to the database.