asking friends for help?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by themolsen, Oct 7, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

What's your thought on hinting at friends to introduce you to their single friends or to fix you up with somebody?

I'm trying to get back out into the "being single" mode, but I'm having trouble meeting anybody new. I work with people twice my age and I hate picking up people at bars. I have a couple hook-up prospects, but they're out-of-town girls that might be in for a night or two. I'm looking to actually meet someone new and try dating/new relationship.

So I thought about asking my friend's fiance if she has any single friends at work she could hook me up with, but without sounding desperate... She knows I'm a decent guy and am not just looking for a one night stand.

Is this a pitiful thing to do? If so, what would be a better way? I really like meeting people through other friends because I'm kind of shy sometimes and the "group" atmosphere sometimes makes it easier to talk and joke around without too much pressure. Plus, I'm more likely to see a friend of a friend more often and kindle familiarity easier. :o

I guess I'm still kind of rattled from the break-up with my ex that I don't know where to start. I'm confident I'll be fine once I get my "groove"

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

I didn't read your post at ALL but I really wanted to say that I hope you find someone that makes you feel special and good about yourself. You seem like a fucking awesome dude and I feel for you.

NO GODDAMN HOMO

oh and ifl

3. jonno

jonno New Member

4. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

What kind of relationships do you have with your friends?

:dunno:

I may be different but I can go up to any of my friends, male or female, or their SO's and say, "Yo, whats the deal with (maria)? You need to hook a nga up!" and they'll all, and ALWAYS be like, "You already know, ill put in the good word!"

:dunno: Doesnt seem like something i'd have to think about, or worry about looking desperate for. If I see someone im attracted to, or would possibly LIKE to be attracted to and we have a mutual friend, why not use any benefit you can get?

5. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i dont think it would be pathetic. you can frame the statement in a way that makes it exactly what you are looking for. most likely, you think your friends SO are quality people if you would be asking to be hooked up with their friends, so you can play on that

"i'm having a hard time finding any quality girls, do you have any single friends you could introduce me to?"

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

LOL @ that video! I'm doing that too. I'm definitely working on myself. I have new hobbies and resumed my old ones. And I feel really good about myself and I know I have the qualities and assets to attract a quality woman.

@ vodka and just: good points.

7. jonno

jonno New Member

seriously though. if they are close friends they're not going to tell the girl that you're interested and having him talk to her for you.

either way, you're better off meeting girls on your own. go out with new people every opportunity you get. you never know who you're going to meet.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Oh, I definitely don't want it to be something like "oooh ask her if she likes me!"

I just need help meeting someone new or at least getting into the right situation where I can, that's all. I can take it from there :bigthumb: And, like I said, I really like meeting someone new in the context of other friends. It's less pressure and generally a lot more fun. And I'm a good guy....I won't do something fucked up to make my friends hate me or something.

9. C.W.

C.W. OT Supporter

Just ask them. I have asked friends GFs before and its worked out well.

Its a pretty common thing.

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

11. Sirian

Sirian New Member

There is absolutely nothing fucking wrong with asking your friends if they know any friends. How the hell do you think a lot of people meet new people? Through friends. Don't phrase it in a way that comes across desperate, just something casual like "Hey Rachel, you know the breakup was rough on me but I think I'm ready to start trying to move on. Do you know of any single girls that are (insert what you want here) that we could hang out with?"

Friends, especially girls, enjoy hooking people up. I know for damn sure that nothing makes a girl more excited than being able to be the "matchmaker" between her friends.

Also, don't rule out online dating sites. They are pretty much perfect for someone who is just trying to get back in the game and "test the waters" so to speak. You don't have to be looking for a relationship, just date and have fun and see where it goes.

12. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Just say "hey, now that I'm single and ready to mingle, you should hook me up with some of your cute friends."

Doesn't sound desperate when you say it with confidence. Just don't resort to a needy wussy after you ask them.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I'm completely confused why you would have to "hint" and tiptoe around the subject :ugh:

You want to meet a girl, that's not weird or a crime. Straight up tell your friends (or simply ask their girlfriends), "do you know any single girl friends that you think I would like?" Girls LOVE playing matchmaker.

14. Vysion

Vysion New Member

This.

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Hahaha that's really true. And maybe I worded it a bit too delicately in my first post.

Thanks for the input, as always

16. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Posted again for emphasis.

17. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Posted again because I'm a dick like that...

18. Aww_Kittah_Aww

Aww_Kittah_Aww Active Member

Most if not all of my past relationships are having met the girl through a friend. :dunno:

Its much easier to strike up a conversation because you always share something in common.

19. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man New Member

:werd:

Although my current situation is... interesting. I went and hung out with this girl, my friend from college, and her roommate. So we kind of hit it off and my friend said she wanted to hook me up with the roommate. A couple months go by before I see her again, we were both mad busy. Hit it off again, hook up, been kind of seeing each other for the past few weeks. And my friend (the one who originally wanted to hook us up) is apparently kind of pissed about it. :roflwtf: :hsughno:

20. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

I can confirm this

21. themolsen

themolsen New Member

well good, this should work in my favor then

22. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I met my current gf through a good female friend of mine. My friend introduced us one night, and I asked her about the new girl and it just went from there.

My friend is just tickled everytime she sees us together. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:bowrofl:

It's so true man. I have set up 5 different couples that are now married :mamoru:

:bigthumb:

:werd: A mutual friend introduced my fiance to me :hs:

24. Bob Brown

Bob Brown bewshit, bewshit, bewshit

:werd: its not pathetic at all !!

BUT !!!!!!!!!! be warned. some guys are HORRIBLE at matchmaking........oh god, I have one friend that always wants to set me up with gilrs, but he is horrible at it and usually just ends up with nothing happening and awkward siutations when the girl and i are in the same room ............ in front of everyone else !