Asking for help/advice while at the gym

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bolo1313, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolo1313

bolo1313 Life down here is just a strange illusion OT Supporter

so i bought a 24 hour fitness membership in November and have been going regularly. in January I started to incorporate squats and deadlifts into my routine. since then, i've noticed a lot of progress from strength to fat loss (1 inch gone from the waist), not much weight loss though which is fine with me. 5'9", 205 lbs.

one problem i think i'm having is form with my squats and DLs. my question is would you feel it's bothersome of me to ask you to check out my form while you're working out? i see some big guys doing their lifts and i figured they know what they're doing. i'm just apprehensive about asking b/c i feel they're going out of their way. how do you guys feel about being approached?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

i would do it, but feel weird, not gonna lie :rofl:

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

make a point not to do it in the middle of someone's set. thats the fast lane to me giving you an evil eye. Also, make sure they appear to know what they're doing. There are lots of big guys out there who got big using terrible form.

whenever someone asks for help, assuming the timing is right, I have no problem helping and most big guys are the same.

4. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

Listen to maine in the sense that I see dudes 10x bigger than me, using FUCKING HORRIBLE form at exercises. Curling using your entire body to throw the weight up to your sholders, squating a full rack of weight with your back curved, Doing rows that you have to snatch the weight towards you by using your lower back. "Hey brolly, herniate a disk much?" is about the only thing I'd ask them.

Read around on here, I know there is a post about good squat and deadlift form. Know on paper what you should be doing, then look for dudes that are doing as close to that as you can tell.

Ask them, not the biggest guys in the gym.

btw, a good friend who blew his back out at work told me that the stuff inside spinal disks looks a lot like crab meat. Just something to think about when you consider using bad form.

5. cura

cura New Member

Pay attention to who has good form when you work out and speak to them. I see alot of guys doing stupid shit, and others who are controlled and with the program...

Otherwise, drop a few bucks on a personal trainer :dunno:

6. bolo1313

thanks for the replies.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

like everyone else said, make sure its not during someone's set, and make sure you have a general idea of what the movement should look like, then make sure the person you ask actually has the movement down.

But I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

9. trancezj

trancezj New Member

I help people all the time. I don't mind as long as like maine said, it's not in the middle of a set. Although it's gotten kinda rediculous here lately though. Last night I was having to go back and forth between 3 different guys and my wife to help them out.

10. lif

lif New Member

Just don't ask while someone when they're actually DOING a set. I had some fucktard ask to work in with me while i was attempting my 5RM on DL the otherday.

11. deznutz

deznutz New Member

i try not to talk to people in the gym, i get distracted. I wear earphones...
    Some people just ask me for a spot sometimes.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

at the 24hr fitness i go to i have never seen any of the trainers ever do a deadlift the entire time i've gone to this gym for a few years now. the trainers at the gym i go to seem like they are pretty useless. lots of biceps and not much anything else from what i see. maybe i just go to a gym with shitty trainers and it's the exception from the rule, hell i don't know but i'd vote for just watching dudes who are squating or d/l'ing and ask someone who has good form for help when he's done with his set.

i'm betting at my gym if you asked a trainer he'd have you doing lunges with dumbells in your hands cause that's all i see them having their clients do for lower body lol.

13. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i'm not big, but i feel the exact same way

14. dave.b.gtt

dave.b.gtt New Member

give it a go boss...i have done it and they were only to glad to help me cause they like to impart knowledge onto those who may not have as much....

one tip but......check out what they say as they cant all be right..

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Dan John > any one at the gym

16. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:drool:

Love seafood.

18. bolo1313

yeah, i've never seen any of the "trainers" do any squating or DLs either.

i don't if it's true or not but i've read that the trainers are usually just a bunch of "certificate holders". basically, they just attened a weekend seminar somewhere a few times a year and that's supposed to be their qualifications. :dunno:

19. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Im the main source of information at my highschool gym for almost everyone in there now.... From football players to 120lb skeletons. Im a tolerant individual though and I really dont mind giving the advice. 2 of the people that tried to train with me and follow my routine puked though...

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Most aren't certificate holders. They're "rep counters."

21. cura

cura New Member

We have some Broly PT's at my gym... Guess we are probably the exception since most of the time they are training women...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.