SRS asking for a raise?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quadrant6, Jun 1, 2007.

1. quadrant6

quadrant6 New Member

To start off, I work as an IT analyst for a publicly-traded company, we own over 80 companies nationwide.

From what I know, I am currently the person making the least amount of money in the whole IT department (there are about 12-13 of us total). So after hearing so many times from friends/ex-coworkers that I should be making much more than I'm currently making (39k/yr), I'm planning on asking the CIO of the company for a raise. A good friend of mine says I should ask for MUCH MORE over what I want to actually make, so in case of a bargain i will be ok with what the CIO negotiates. So I'm planning on asking for 50k/year.. Is this too much to ask for?

Just to back myself up, I'm a jack of all trades with my job, I'm consistently busy and the proof of this is our help desk software where I log everything I do throughout the day (thus showing proof of how much a raise I should get). Moreover I am never late, learn from my mistakes, and I'm pretty much tired of living off my credit card just to make ends meet (which happens all the time about a week before payday once a month). Any other advice I should take?

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Thats a little over a 20% raise. Besides what your friends say have you looked around for other positions in the area to see what they pay? how long have you been there and when was your last raise? When you go in to talk to them have all your facts ready why they should be paying you more, give examples why you deserve it.

Most places don't want to give you a raise that large till they find out you're leaving of course :hs: A friend of mine works in IT he's moved around a few times and made a big jump in pay every time, thats the only way to do it sometimes.

3. quadrant6

quadrant6 New Member

i've been there exactly two years (this month). My last raise (for being there a year) was 11%, of which i didn't ask for. and yeah, thanks for the advice, I thought about looking at other similar jobs to see what they are paying.

4. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

I'm part of a 2 man IT team, however I'm the only one in the office on a day to day basis. I'm a "jack of all trades" "know a little about a lot" IT sys admin.
    When I went in for my last raise I had a salary.com report which had averages for my area, etc etc. Then it also had people who shared their duties, experience, wages, perks, etc.
    I also went to: http://redmondmag.com/salarysurveys/ :bowdown: by far the most comprehensive survey ever.
    Good news: I wasnt laughed out of the boss's office when I plunked down 40 pages of documentation onto my functions, skills, duties and then with those reports the documentation to support my raise. I think I wanted something like a 40% raise on the spot. That would of put me into the 40th percentile on my salary for my job...
    I ended up getting the 25-30th percentile... meh still a 30% raise if i recall.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ in for reading that link later when I'm not at work.

6. quadrant6

quadrant6 New Member

wow, sweet. I am planning on giving him several reasons (including backing up what he himself stated several times before) for giving me a raise.. basically it's all or nothing, if I don't get what I want (or close to it), I'm leaving the company (landing another job first of course). Thanks for the link :)

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

To be honest, my first impression is that you don't spend your money in a healthy way. Especially if you say that you run out of cash a week before the month ends, well lets have it. If you can honestly say how much and on what you waste your money on, then we can improve your financial situation even more.

Afterall even if you get a raise it doesn't matter how much you earn,its about how much there is left after all your odeals what matters.

8. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Don't mention how you're irresponsible with money, that is not a reason they should give you a raise. What are you wasting your money on that you end up broke every month? 40k is plenty to live on in TX, sounds like you just need to manage your money better.