MMA Asked to Leave My BJJ Gym

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Savage5point0, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Bored at work so I thought Id share my story for the day.

So for the last couple of years I have been training 3 days a week at a local BJJ club/gym and doing very well and progressing quickly. About 3 months ago I decided I wanted more mat time, so I signed up at another BJJ gym in a neighboring town for an additional 4 classes per week. Once I started attending the other gym I noticed that I was better than all the students there (whites, blues, and purples), but I figured the mat time could never hurt, ill just work technique and at very least get some exercise and make some new friends.

Fast foward to this morning I got a call from the black belt who runs the second school and he very nicely informs me that I need to be training somewhere else that is more competitive that can provide more challenege, and that its just not working out with me at his school.

It kind of makes me sad because, even tho the guys werent the best, they were nice people and I tried to help them the best I could.

I still have the original club to train at, but Im likely going to have to travel farther and pay more to train now. :hs:

Theres a Ralph Gracie gym close by that I might check out, but I dont really like the 30-40 minutes of conditioning they do before class. There is also AKA in San Jose, but its an hour drive each way for me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

What rank are you? That sucks man.

3. Savage5point0

My club doesnt award belts, so I am forever a white belt. :bigthumb:

4. RMarks

RMarks New Member

What rank would you say you are then?

Is it normal practice for places to not award ranks? I don't train, but that sounds weird to me

5. Savage5point0

Ill let others weigh in on this, but I would say it would be very uncommon for a traditional place to not award ranks, but for a nogi/gi club it wouldnt be that wierd.

As for ranks, I dont really know, and after this little experience, I can say that it really varries what a belt actually means, its not really as important to me as developing my game.

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

if the others were learning from you I dont see what the big deal is.

they were probably just upset that you were making a mockery out of their belt ranks.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

that's kinda gay. if i was the instructor i'd offer you a teaching job

8. Classy kind of problem to have, but you have any idea why he asked you to leave?

9. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

that instructor is an idiot. he shouldnt be handing out belts like candy and be glad someone with actual skill was in his dojo

10. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Why are you sad....Ass up man and go for better competition......

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

that's pretty dumb. just because someone is better doesn't mean you should be kicking them out.

12. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

My main concern is you not wanting cardio before class. Wtf? Suck it up, conditioning=ability to roll longer/more=more progression.

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

ive seen this happen before. It happens alot in the really commercialized schools the reason the guy did this was because it was bad for business. some one probably asked you or you mentioned that you train at another school and you might not have said it maliciously or anything you might have said it like you said it here that you go to two schools to get more practice. You roll up in it and then this guy is doing it for the money and your owning all of his students so he is probably afraid that you are going to take them all with you to the other gym and he will lose money.

its a common problem in these schools that I call jiu jitzu marts

14. Savage5point0

:rofl: I condition, even tho I dont like it at all. But Id rather not pay to do pushups and situps, I want to learn some "jits" :rofl: Im more than capable of keeping myself in shape, I dont need to do 30 minutes of running around the mats and sprawls. I see what you're saying, but when in in the gym id rather get my conditioning from drilling or working my escapes than doing jumping jacks. Ill run in the morning before work.

15. JordanClarkson

i agree with this. 30mins of cardio is excessive when the class is only an hour. i can warm up really quickly so i'm ready to go after a couple of minutes.

16. Hillary

Is the class only an hour? Usually we do 30 min conditioning, 30 min drills, 30-45 rolling.

17. JordanClarkson

when i go train at a new place i just tell people i'm new :hs:

18. Hillary

If so, then I agree with cutting down to just a short warmup.

19. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

and when you beat the purple belts in class (like this guy was), then what do you say?

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah they usually don't like sandbaggers either... but then again they can't toss their "best guy" against you... since you already beat everyone there. :rofl:

21. Savage5point0

No. I was just saying. The Gracie gym around here does 2 hour classes. I was just saying that I dont particularly like paying to do situps, I do that on my own anyways. Ill probably end up going there for the time being anyways :hs:

22. JordanClarkson

well, my gi training is limited, so i won't be beating purples. i just dont like saying where im from because there have been problems with that. i do find it rather odd that a bjj school does not give out rankings. but if he actually signed up for like a year and made it his main gym the instructor might have been more willing to promote him in rank after 6 months or so.

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

that sucks, pretty damn dumb of them to ask you to leave when you had better skills to offer and could help the others while ya rolled. i'm glad i'm not one of those guys who will be without the extra help you probably gave them. that's not just fucked up towards you it's fucked up to the others there in that gym, that instructor probably just felt threatened and wanted you out to save face. that's pretty damn shitty

24. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I think it is best you head to the more advanced school....You should have a blast.....

25. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

they're just jealous