WEB Ask me anything v.thomor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thomor25, Sep 23, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

Ask me anything and I'll try to help out or answer your questions. I will state here that I won't reveal everything that I do but I'll answer.

2. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

how much money do you make? don't be modest. i need motivation

3. airbball23

airbball23 Rent this Space only $5/mnth

what are all the sites you run/url to site? btw thanks for making this thread!

4. thomor25

when I was in ypn, made 379k the first 4 months of 2006. That doesn't include me selling any of my sites.

Now around 10k+ a month

5. thomor25

6. airbball23

wow congrats man! with all that dough you generate w/ your sites - you still work a 9 to 5er or you develop websites for a living now?

7. thomor25

I do this for a living. I haven't had a 9-5 where i worked for someone since 2005.Truthfully its fun being your own boss, scheduling your own work hours etc but it gets boring at times. I'm actually thinking of getting a job to meet people and stuff. Think about it. your whole social aspect you have at where you work now is gone if you do this fulltime. I'm looking to get a job doing what i love which is computers. I have 2 degrees in computers and a minor in management. But at the same time I'm not gonna get a job at the geek squad just to meet people and stuff. I'd like a job in server admin/network admin not a techy job at a retail store. I'm 27 now. I'd like to be at a job where i meet people my own age though i do have freinds I meet at the bar who are 21+.

8. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

How did you get traffic to your sites?

*I know you won't be able to answer that completely, as that's definitely what keeps your business running, but some basic ideas would be great. *

9. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Oh and who does all your design. A lot of my problems I have is that I can't design a site to save my life.. I have no artistic ability.

10. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

:rofl: we have opposite goals... i want to get out of working a 9-5 so i can be my own boss. the social aspect of working is overrated. i think meeting people at school would be better

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

So why did you carry two jobs if your making profit a month

12. thomor25

Alot of the traffic is from cross promotion of my other sites, myspace, advertising on other sites, having contests to spread the word about different sites etc

13. thomor25

usually I paid bolicious here on ot to do them. www.bolicious.com very skilled and very good at what he does.

14. thomor25

you are correct but I'm not in school anymore so the social aspect is gone. I did consider going back to school but I'm still on the fence about that. when I first started I had the same goals you do now but as you get older they change or for me they did atleast.

15. thomor25

I'm not carrying two jobs. I dunno where you got that idea. If you are reffering to the pet store I owned and sold that was just a fun thing to do. Where did you read that I was working two jobs?

16. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

what's ypn?

would you say that you dont have to have an idea that no one in the world has, to be successful? and that anyone can take an existing idea and market it better and become very profitable?

i, and probably a lot of the world, think that you have to come up with the million dollar idea that no one has thought of, to make it rich, but it seems that the most important efforts go into strategic marketing and getting people to use your site instead of the other guys.

i have a monster idea right now that im sitting on but i can totally see it going mainstream. there may or may not be sites like it - there probably are - but i havent found them. it will cost me a moderate amount of funds to get it going as it requires a back end and i dont have that knowledge...
    through contests and encouraging people to use it, i can totally see it getting pretty big...then i have to figure out how to make a profit. it seems like adsense is for the beginner type sites?

17. s3rca

s3rca New Member

on one site or the 5 or so you listed?

18. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

jesus fucking christ :bowdown:

that's gross im presuming. how much for hosting and expenses (red bull, lol) and shit?

19. thomor25

http://publisher.yahoo.com its the "copy" of adsense by yahoo. Does the same thing, pays more, but relevane to whats on your page sucks.

With the internet almost every idea is copied and improved or brought from the real world into the virtual. The key to making moeny and having your site be a success is look for a successful site already and see where it can be improved upon. if ther eis a site that is successful but doesn't have any competition copying it and not improoving it will still make you money. for instance myspace. myspace wasn't the first but they took someones ideas and improoved on it. now I there wasn't hi5 and blackplanet and facebook and stuff and I cared an exaxt copy of myspae but changed it a little i would make money cause i would be their only competition but there are so many social networks out ther enow you have to be different. now look at stick.am or whatever it is they are myspace but with webcams and that difference will maek them very popular and if i was myspace i'd put that feature in.

correct, you can't just make a site and go live and say well i hope it makes money. you have to plan different avenues. so what if it goes and starts making money right away well is our script or program scalable are we going to be able to expand our infrastructure without downtime so we continually make money while we are growing or will we have to shutdown to make upgrades and lose signups and money. I've siad it ebfore and i'll say it again. you can have the most kick ass website out ther that will be the next thing but if you can't drive traffic to it to let people know about it then you have wasted your money.

in some respects adsense is. the thing about adsens eis its "extra income" the real money is in affiliate marketing and going direct with advertisers. But adsense can be a bridge for that. Example say your site caters to the hot new thing and you notice that on yor adsense ads tehre is this one place that keeps selling the hot new thing and when people click it you are gettign 3 bucks per a click. awesome. You are getting 100 clciks a day and making 300 bucks a day with this one ad thats on adsense. Me as an advertiser advertising the hot new thing I'm paying adsense 5 bucks a click and spending 500 a day on your site. Now her eis the kicker, contact the company that has the ad and do a direct advertising campaign. You are payign adsense 500 a day to advertise on my site. advertise direct for 400 and skip adsense. Now you just made 100 extra bucks a day and they are paying 100 bucks less and gettign the same result.

as you can see thsi can apply ot other things as well such as ringtone companies and the like.

Also the big money now is in affiliate marketing. Where you get paid x amount for cpa's now cpa=cost per action. Ringtimes is a perfect example. jimmy wants the hottest ringtone out right now and finds your site about ringtones and he clicks on an ad, now that ad is 13bucks cpa and once jimmp enters in his phone number and confirms a pin number you get paid 13 bucks.

20. thomor25

21. thomor25

hosting was about 6k a month for 15 servers i was renting. expenses included going out to eat everynight for business dinners since I did talk about business with my gf at the time, and for thigs like my presentation tv hooked up to my computers that were expenses too.

22. pkr

pkr Guest

How come I can never understand what you type?

23. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

when you graduated from college, what was your starting salary? i know you already answered the question about how much your current salary is, but as a student, i'm curious as to what kind of starting salary would be, and what did the job entail?

24. airbball23

going back to your azoolge and arbitrage website:

what is your url to the site(s) that you run?

my reason is, i know you posted up the templates but it's a pretty empty template, i want to see how you developed on that template. Your EDU was interesting but it was didnt seem complete and i didnt fully understand all of it except reg. w/ azoogle, set up a landing page and get text off of free sites and that's it? i'm lost on where azoolge comes in play and is azoolge like adsense or cj? can you clarify and possibly post your website? IDK if this belongs here or in your EDU.

25. thomor25

cause i ramble when I talk sometimes and i type how I talk. I was never good at grammer and spelling in school. Plus I type fast and i swap letters cause i'm typing so fast.