MMA Ask me about ancient muay thai

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Pommy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

AKA Muay Thai Chaiya (one of the main styles)

I train here in Thailand. I am half Thai. :wiggle:

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

are you a chick

3. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Have you ever trained in the sport fighting version? What are the big differences? How often, or how much per week do you train? Does your gym have a website? If not, where are they located?

I don't know too much about the ancient style, just that it was a bit more violent and aerobatic (sp?). So I was just looking for some general info. Thanks!

4. Pommy

Nope, but I have a website about them: www.leftofme.com

5. Pommy

Never trained in the sport fighting version

The big difference is that the ancient style is less about conditioning, it's A LOT more lethal. There are a lot of dirty tactics as well. If you're looking for specifics, try googling for Muay Thai Chaiya.

I only can train twice a week, because of my work schedule. Bangkok traffic is purely a bitch, so it's a big turn off

My gym does not have a website, but if you search for muay thai chaiya, my trainer's name Ajarn (meaning instructor, similar to Sensei) Lek will most probably show up.

It is located in a sub street on one of the main roads of Bangkok. It's near the center, but nicely hidden. There's only like 25 or so people per class. There's private lessons as well.

Yes, it's uber violent. :) I dunno about acrobatic. But you gotta have your balance in place as there are quite a few one-legged moves etc. :bigthumb:

6. What do you think of Tony Jaa's movies? Haha. Have you ever used your training? If so what was the situation? Are there some things they have taught you that you are uncomfortable using (eye gouging etc)?

7. CrazyInteg

What main road? What soi?
    How much do you pay there?

8. CrazyInteg

Sukhumvit Soi 63

How far up? Past Big C?

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Not really your topic, but:

Do you see alot of American tourists? What about wanna-be Americans who come to train in Thailand... or even actually talented Americans coming to train there. How many, how often?

Training in Muay Thai that is.

10. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

ooo i smell good thread.

umm as for a question, what has been you hardest training so far? (to achieve a certain area of strength or maybe a technique or anything of the sort)

11. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

Do you guys do body toughening exercises (e.g. medicine ball drops, trading kicks, etc.) like in sport-fighting? Or does that contradict the philosophy behind your style?

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Also, not to sound like a noob, but do you do any shin conditioning? Either kicking "real" banana trees, or rolling over your shins... and is this common in Thailand for them to teach this?

I've heard from my instructor that they don't kick trees or roll to condition their shins anymore, they just kick pads alot. I was just wondering what your first hand experience was.

13. CrazyInteg

damn Pommy wake up and answer our questions! 2:30am FTL :wtc:

14. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

I know a guy that claims to practice the "real" thai styles, and his bag is about as hard as a tree... he was blasting away at it, and I could barely kick it at all (and I work on my shins consistently). Is this the case here?

15. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

where can u get those kind of bags??

16. Pommy

Tony Jaa's movies... Well.. I really enjoyed Ong Bak. Tom yum goong sucks balls though. Too dumb for me and it's a bit over the top. Come on, he breaks like everyone's bones. sigh. But he's got 1337 5ki115 though. Moving on...

I've never used my training in a real life situation. However, my trainer has... I read an article where they interviewed him about how some indians were causing a ruckus and he told them to chill, three of them got outta the car and he owned them, and the girl in the car fainted. :bowdown: :rofl:

I am not at all uncomfortable with the methods taught. Even the kicks in the dicks. :p It's what you gotta use. Street fights aren't fair brother. And it sure damn wasn't back when they used muay thai to defend the country.

17. Pommy

Okay. Sukhumvit 63. It's got a name... Sukhumvit 63 = Ekamai.

It's in Ekamai soi 10

I pay 2400 Baht ($64) for 12 times.
    Each session is 2 hours. So that's 200 baht per session.

18. Pommy

Yah, past Big C if you're coming from Sukhumvit. It's soi 10. The place is called "Baan Chung Thai" House of Thai artists.

19. Pommy

I see quite a few American's. Actually my sis is dating one. He's awesome. He teachs BJJ at www.bangkokfightclub.com which I'll hopefully get into real soon.

I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm not quite familiar with American's training in muay thai. However they DO come... But I think it's in the camps outside Bangkok, like Phuket, maybe Pataya. I've seen some "white boys" in Lumpini park jogging for muay thai in the morning. And that's dead smack in the centre of Bangkok. Actually it's where one of the MAIN fighting ring is. For thai boxing. Lumpini Stadium.

20. Pommy

Actually. To be HONEST. At the risk of sounding like a lazy bitch... I found it excruciating when told to stand on one leg and the other raised and bent like a striking position. They count to 30 and you switch legs. It goes on for about 15 mins. I just wanted to collapse. Another thing I found hard was the way you have to execute moves. They are very strict and there are ways how you should "roll" your arms over each other and the way you walk etc. It's quite weird at first.

Nothing (probably ever) has been about strength.

21. Pommy

Yup, totally goes against it. I mean, you want to be flexible... Believe it or not, the ancient muay thai also has a lot of grappling and grabbing.

22. Pommy

Hehe, you're not a noob. You're just mixing things up. Which is understandable. I'm learning the ancient art of muay thai. It's not all about conditioning. Although it's tiring as fuck and my face gets red like the first 10 mins. There is no repetitive kicks etc.

After saying that, I feel that after I've "mastered" this style, I will dedicate my time to the ring version of the sport just to get into shape and toughen my shin. When I fight, it'll be the ancient style :big grin:

23. Pommy

Sorry man. Living in Thailand hurr.

24. Pommy

25. CrazyInteg

Thanks Pommy.

The furthest I made it up Soi Ekamai was to Big C to buy some beer.
    Definately sounds interesting though!!