MIL Ask anything about Marine Corps BOOT CAMP v.2

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Since the other one got retarded. Ask away and Marines will answer.

2. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

So yea.. Just How hard is Marine Boot Camp?

3. pakman

pakman New Member

Why do you call your DI sir when he's enlisted?

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

No, but we did get to watch tears of the sun towards the end of the cycle- but that got cut short when the fire alarm went off.

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Because recruits are not Marines yet, and are the lowest lifeforms on earth. They don't rate to say enlisted rank. However, when speaking to a Drill Instructor, one would request to do so by: "Sir Good (morning, afternoon, evening) Sir!! Recruit ______ requests to speak to Drill Instructor (rank) (last name).

That's pretty much the only time you will ever call by rank or name.

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

OH SHIT YOU WATCHED MOVIES!? :greddy: Marine boot camp must be for pussies.

7. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

:rofl:

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Exercises? Well lets see. I would say go for an overall body workout w/ high resistence with MAJOR cardiovascular emphasis (for being pitted and 1/4 decked). Boot camp focuses on 5 major things: Pushups, Pullups, Crunches, Running, and Humping (aka Hiking).

I would really suggest going out and buying yourself a pair of boots really tear up your feet so they can withstand a good beating. (ie- blisters and all that). Go out with these boots and load up a pack with about 50-100lbs of sand and hike at the fastest pace possible for a good 3-10 miles (whatever will start you off) so your body can get used to it.

9. burton564

burton564 New Member

wow, you call a DS sir at army basic, and its your ass. your life is over right then and there.

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

tell me what the fuck a quarter deck is, and do you say the word muster?

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

why is that?

12. burton564

burton564 New Member

well we have to go back to the age old saying that every enlisted person says when they are called sir, "fuck that, i work for a living."

13. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Quarter decking is punishment for groups of recruits or individual recruits who get personal time with a Drill Instructor, which is located in the squadbay by the drill instructor hut. This treatment can't really be explained, but I can try to relate it to you somehow. Basically you must do what a D.I. tells you to do, pretty much regardless of circumstance. It's basically a drill instructor working you over making you do insane exercises repeatedly until your heart "pops" or you either pass out or on the verge of it. A lot of Marines will talk about 'chalking' a recruit. This is when a recruit passes out and another recruit will draw a line with chalk around the body of the recruit, sometimes occuring on the 1/4 deck. I personally have never sweated like that in my life when I was up there. It was like a river flowing from my body onto the deck. One of the drill instructors put his cover (hat) under me when I was doing pushups and if I touched it or sweated on it- I would most likely end up in the hospital :rofl: . The quarter deck and the 'pit' is something you have to experience for yourself before you would understand.

Muster is a Navy term for 'gathering'.

14. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Ignore his advice. What boots do you guys wear? Danner Deserts? There is no reason to tear up your feet. First get a pair of boots that fit right. Get some decent socks that you could wear in boot. I know they'll issue socks but we had no problem buying some better boot socks. Get your boots broken in by wearing them around. Once again I don't know exactly what kind of ruck the marines use but you can't go with with a ALICE pack. Find shit to pack in their and disperse the weight. You don't need to really go over 50-60 lbs. You probably want to start with less at first while you build up strength and endurance.

Start out with 3-5miles. Varying terrain is better but if all you have his streets that fine. Make sure you work hills in as well. The pace you want to strive for is 15min/miles or faster. Thats the standard for a Army 12mile ruck and any other ruck march for that matter. Not sure what std the Marines require. My best for a 5mile was a little under 11min/miles. Thats carrying a 60lb ruck plus a rubber ducky M16.

Make sure you watch out for shin splints and such. If you start to have issues make sure you are stretching and icing them when you are done. This will help. Some good insoles can be helpful too.

15. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Yes that is true. However, the Corps does not believe that recruits are human in a way. Every Marine is "Sir" to a recruit until they graduate.

16. burton564

burton564 New Member

I'll tell you right now, i've been in the pit, many many many times. Basic and warrant school. The army is kinda gay these days about the buddy system, you can't even go talk to a DS without someone else at your side. At knox, we did some shit, it was called the fort knox sauna there, probably done everywhere else though. They would close the bay doors and windows, turn the heat all the way up. Put on pt sweats, and mopp suit, gas mask, and do PT till someone passed out. It didn't take too long

17. burton564

burton564 New Member

If thats the way its done, then thats the way it is. I am an officer and i still hate being called sir, i tend to bitch at alot of people. I prefer chief or my name. I have to tell the CSM to not call me sir at least once a week, he has been in the army for 30 years, i should be calling him sir.

18. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rofl: @ GT's response. You will get issued socks that you have to wear at boot. Most of the time your footlockers will get dumped and all your shit will get mixxed up- meaning newer socks mean really nothing beause most likely you won't end up with them. (can't remember if PX had these available at boot). Anyway, your feet WILL GET FUCKED UP AT BOOT CAMP if you go USMC. There were only 2 people in my platoon that were uneffected, or so it seems. Expect your nails to fall off, ingrowns, blisters, etc.

19. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Alright. I guess you can't get better socks in Marine Boot. Everything else is correct much more worthwhile training then what you want recommended. I speak from experience when it comes to ruck marching. Having fucked up feet is no fun especially when you have silver dollar size patches of raw skin on the back of both heels and you still have 10hrs of land nav left and a 6mile ruck run. That shit is no fun.

Honestly what Insdav3 recommended is going to injure you. The most I've ever rucked was 130lbs. Your body is going to benifet from doing over 60lbs. Condition it for that and everything else above it won't be too bad.

20. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:dunno: I understand what you are saying. However, I have never seen an enlisted- regardless of rank not call an officer 'sir'. I am sure it happens, but like I said, I have never seen it. The senior enlisted talk a lot of shit about the officers though, and know what shit needs to get done even if the officer says something else. :o

21. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I honestly don't know what the poundage at boot was. Maybe 70-80+lbs. Not sure. A lot of my shit was wet most of the time so it weighed it down.

I still reccomend getting a lot of cardio and weightlifting in.

22. burton564

burton564 New Member

Like i have said many many many times in here, i don't even consider myself an officer. I won't have a command, i don't make descions, so fuck the officer nonsense. Even the proper Army way to call me is not by rank, but mister

23. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

It all depends on the unit you come from. The 160th isn't a normal aviation unit so to speak. Within the SF community its the E8 Team SGT who runs the team. The Team Leader-Captain spend about 18months-24months there and then moves on. If he tries to pull too much of the I'm an officer stuff the Team SGT will deal with it. Our team leader was an Captain who also spent his time as an NCO moving up the ranks to E7 before going to OCS. We could talk to him as a normal person pretty much. Sure we would throw sir in there every so often but it wasn't no YES SIR, NO SIR bs.

It comes down to the indidual and where he wants to draw the line.

24. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

in the operational navy, the quarterdeck is the command post. when i reported my air force ass to NAS Pensacola, my orders said to go to the quarterdeck, which began my several-week-long confusion regarding navy terminology. and yes, some of those squids actually use the terms "hatch", "p-way", "port/starboard", and "head". it's rediculous, especially since we weren't on a boat.

25. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

In boot you never really know. It feels heavier then it really is. Do they not give you waterproof bags/sacks for your gear when you pack your rucks?