Asimov Fans, I has a question

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by XTREME COCKSUCKER, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Which book should I begin with?

1. Begin with Foundation.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Begin with Prelude to Foundation.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

So today I went to the book store. I made the mistake of bringing a friend with me. I went to buy a book by Gene Wolfe or George RR Martin, but ended up buying Foundation and Prelude to Foundation instead. Not to say I'm not looking forward to them, I've read the first pages of each and can't wait to start them in earnest after I finish the book I'm reading (A God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, a highly toted, Booker Prize winning novel that I've found absolutely insufferable).
    Anyway, my question is this: which should I read first? I'm inclined to start with Foundation, and then continue with the series in the order it was published (which would mean that the Prelude to Foundation I bought would basically be useless until I read the first six novels). I feel like this will give me the same experience that most readers, as well as Asimov himself to some degree, had.
    But my friend says to start with Prelude to Foundation and then continue chronologically, according to the Foundation universe. I understand the intention with such a suggestion, but there's something about this that feels weirdly wrong, like I might ruin something for myself later in the series.
    So, as in all times of indecision, I put my fate in the hands of OT. Which would you recommend I start with?

2. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

start with Foundation.
    read the rest.
    Prelude to Foundation last.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I say read them in this order:

1. Foundation
    2. Foundation And Empire
    3. Second Foundation
    4. NOTHING ELSE.

:mamoru:

To be honest, I've never read the extended series, just the original three books. But going in that order, you get the fullness of the story. You won't be missing anything, so that's what I recommend doing. Then if you want to read Prelude, read it afterwards.

4. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

no, read all of them, then prelude, then read the entire robot series & see how it ties in. :noes:

5. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

A combination of the above:

1. Foundation
    2. Foundation And Empire
    3. Second Foundation
    4. the robot books

6. tom37211

tom37211 New Member

After the third part, it pretty much goes downhill. But the actual trilogy was wonderful. I read 'Prelude' last. It has been a while, but I recall wishing I had read it first.

The 'Robot' series was also very good.