As a web developer, do you feel I should learn Python?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Crath, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Crath

Crath New Member

I'm a self taught php/mysql/js developer already making a decent amount of money, but things are starting to even out a bit in the server-side language relm, with php and asp, and now things like ruby on rails and django.

Out of each of the other options, I would go with learning python, and then django, but do you feel it would be benificial to me? I always looked at it as, the time spent learning an entirely new language could be spent fine-tuning my current knowledge and skills. I have been dealing with the code-igniter framework for php, which is a loose MVC framework and love it.

Just getting some opinions on the matter... thanks

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

If you love MVC, you should be able to pick up ruby on rails then. Learn it, it will be worth it to have.

Also, about the fine tuner part, the concepts you apply to other languages learning them can be applied to the languages you already know..

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I have no idea about python, but I have a question

If you don't learn python, are you actually going to spend the time fine-tuning your current knowledge and skills?

I just had this conversation yesterday. Too often I hear people say "I'm not going to do <that>, because it's time away from <this>" but then when you look back, they ended not doing *EITHER*.

To me, learning something new is a challenge so I usually dive in and get it done. But most of the time I see "fine-tuning my current knowledge and skills" as a chore, and put it off. So again, you have to ask yourself, if you don't learn python, are you actually going to spend the time fine-tuning your current knowledge and skills?

4. Crath

Crath New Member

Never learning ruby on rails... its fanboys are annoying as fuck

yeah, i'd say something like... ok, all of saturday evening is set aside to learning stuff, and i dont end up learning pythong, i end up either teching myself mvc stuff or new functions or dabbling in html5 canvas and jquery.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

I personally don't know python (although i'm going to have a few homework assignments in python this semester, so i'll have to learn it eventually) but from what I heard, it's a very good language to learn.

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I heard it's a good language to, but I'd still choose Java instead.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Excellent point.

Besides, the more languages you learn, the more you improve your understanding of programming concepts without tying them to the syntax used to implement them. It's like, a baby knows what bread is, what a cup is, who mommy is, long before they learn the words for those things, and they can identify them with or without the words. But in the case of computer programming, the only way to interact with the concepts is through syntax, so it's necessary to learn multiple syntaxes to really grasp the concepts directly, because each syntax will provide a different perspective on the concepts they implement.

8. Crath

Crath New Member

I was up in the air between java/cpp/python for the longest time, but the no-compiling won me over. Care to explain why you chose java?

9. Crath

Crath New Member

yeah i guess i can say i already learned the basics, but im talking about really diving into it

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, as a web developer you should focus on learning either Ruby or Python. That is where the best jobs are.

I finally got around to learning Ruby for a recent project, and lemme tell ya... its made programming twice as fun as it ever has been. First class classes, stringing operations arbitrarily like LISP, monkey patching classes of primitives (think int), etc. all without the added baggage of something like Java, make it a joy to work with. Big, monolithic frameworks are not my bag, so I'm using Sinatra (minimalist) instead of RAILS.

Personally, I like PHP for 20 line hacks, but you will certainly do well to learn Python or Ruby.

Ruby is so much fun, it has me... learning Scheme (LISP). Thats pretty fucked up.

Here's my favorite thing about Ruby:

Code:
    class String
      def is_json?
        begin
          JSON.parse(self)
        rescue
          return false
        end
      end
    end

Now any string can check if it is JSON or not.

Code:
    "Hello bob!".is_json?

false

'{"Hello": "Bob!"}'.is_json?

true

I want to round and commify any number. No problem!

Code:
    class Numeric
      def round_to( decimals=0 )
        factor = 10.0**decimals
        (self*factor).round / factor
      end

def commify
        n = self
        n.to_s =~ /([^\.]*)(\..*)?/
        int, dec = $1.reverse, $2 ? $2 : ""
        while int.gsub!(/(,|\.|^)(\d{3})(\d)/, '\1\2,\3')
        end
        int.reverse + dec
      end

Code:
    (12421414 * 2142102105012.122412412).round_to(2).commify
    Crap like this makes coding fun, without the baggage of some other languages. Its like the best of Java, LISP and Perl in one.